The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2019, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanics Exam Question (USA)

In the Two Umpire System with R1 at 1B and a ground ball to the infield the plate umpire should?

There are two similar answers for this question. After trailing the BR, one involves stopping to watch the play at 1st and then moving for the potential play at third. The other involves moving as the lead runner approaches 2B.

Reading the mechanics it's clearly the latter that is intended and like so many other things I've been doing this wrong. But now I'm left wondering what in the world sense this mechanic makes. If I'm not going to be around to help with the play at 1st (and there's no way I will be if I have to move away from my position before the runner from 1st gets to second) why am I even trailing, why not go straight to the pitcher's plate?
Old Thu Feb 14, 2019, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

For me personally, some of this has to do with the speed of the runner at first base, and to some extent, the speed of the BR.

On a routine ground ball to an infielder with average speed runners, I have time to hang around the first base line a bit longer.

If it was a situation where a team is trying to sacrifice the runner, the runner from first may well attempt to try for third. I may cheat a little there and edge away from the first base line while still trying to keep an eye out for the pulled foot, which could actually be important if F3 tries to rush a throw to third base. But I do have a partner responsible for first base, and I will be responsible for third base (and home). I may also have to hang around a bit longer if F1 or F3 fields a bunt and tries to tag BR within the first 30' to first base.

Angle over distance is the mantra. If I can get the angle for the play at third base, then I can try to close the distance.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2019, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

PU's priority MUST be the lead runner. Any other option does not serve the game or teams well
Old Sun Feb 17, 2019, 10:14am
Stirrer of the Pot

The book solution is to trail the runner 1/3 of the way up the line to watch for the pulled foot or swipe tag. No sense in moving straight to the pitching circle if the defense retires R1 before making a play on the BR. You may have to help the BU on that because he/she may not get the right angle for the play at first after making the initial call at second.

But if the defense makes the play on the BR first, then you will have to forego watching the play at first from the trail position so that you can move to third as R1 approaches second. Your priority shifts to any play they make on him/her at third.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker