The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Inaccurate Lineup Card Question (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/104373-inaccurate-lineup-card-question.html)

Manny A Mon Feb 11, 2019 01:46pm

Inaccurate Lineup Card Question

At a college game I watched last week, a player came to bat for the visiting team with a runner at third base. She grounded out to F4 with R3 scoring on the play. Then, the offensive coach came out to talk to the PU. The PU then went over to talk with the defensive head coach, and I saw her make a change to her lineup card. The final result of the discussion was that R3 was returned to third base.

Afterward, I heard that the batter who grounded out to F4 was listed in the lineup card with an incorrect number. Instead of "Smith, S, #5", she was listed as "Smith, S, #6". The ruling was because the defense identified it before the next pitch, the offending player is ruled out, and all play resulting from the batted ball is nullified. This is the procedure in NCAA Rule 8.3.2(d)

My question is based upon the Note that is in 8.3.2 that states, "A player's name supersedes a listed uniform number (See Rule 5.7)" Maybe I'm wrong, but as I read that, wouldn't the fact that the name "Smith, S" was the batter who batted, and since the name is correct, the number being incorrect is really irrelevant? I'm just trying to understand the purpose of that Note.

Thoughts?

Big Slick Mon Feb 11, 2019 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1030092)
At a college game I watched last week, a player came to bat for the visiting team with a runner at third base. She grounded out to F4 with R3 scoring on the play. Then, the offensive coach came out to talk to the PU. The PU then went over to talk with the defensive head coach, and I saw her make a change to her lineup card. The final result of the discussion was that R3 was returned to third base.

Afterward, I heard that the batter who grounded out to F4 was listed in the lineup card with an incorrect number. Instead of "Smith, S, #5", she was listed as "Smith, S, #6". The ruling was because the defense identified it before the next pitch, the offending player is ruled out, and all play resulting from the batted ball is nullified. This is the procedure in NCAA Rule 8.3.2(d)

My question is based upon the Note that is in 8.3.2 that states, "A player's name supersedes a listed uniform number (See Rule 5.7)" Maybe I'm wrong, but as I read that, wouldn't the fact that the name "Smith, S" was the batter who batted, and since the name is correct, the number being incorrect is really irrelevant? I'm just trying to understand the purpose of that Note.

Thoughts?

First, number is not irrelevant by the rule prior to the note. I think there may be a time that if the number is correct but the name isn't, then you would have BBO/unreported/illegal player as opposed to inaccurate line up card. I think that the stiffer penalty would apply if there was ever a case.

I've had inaccurate LUC with a wrong number, once. Pitcher was number 88 and listed as 8. Visiting team up 5, top of 5, #4 batter strikes out. Offensive coach appeals, yep, nullify the strike 3, fix the LUC. Batter hits the next pitch for 3 run-homer. Home team goes 1/2/3 in bottom of 5th, good night, end of series.

Manny A Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:43pm

So I thought about this a little more, and I think I understand the purpose of the Note.

Suppose the line-up card does show "Smith, S. #6" in the fifth spot. S. Smith bats and hits a single. The defensive coach comes out and complains that the player on first base is #5, not #6, that there is no #5 on the line-up card, so the player on first base is an illegal player.

Well, No, S. Smith is not an illegal player. Her number is wrong in the line-up, but her name is correctly listed, so her name supersedes her number.