The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 27, 2018, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

2019 USA Umpire Exam

The exam has been posted on the USA Softball site.

Approximately 20 questions (out of 57 total) related to Rule 8.

The 2019 Umpire Manual is not available yet.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2018, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

One of the questions on the 2019 exam. I know what my response to the coach would be, I just can't find a reference for it. Perhaps it's in the unpublished Umpires' Manual?

Perhaps it's more just a question about where the FLEX goes in pool play (or any time) and I'm reading it more like game management.

52) A JO Fast Pitch coach is getting ready to turn in their line-up at the pre-game coaches’ conference prior to their team’s first game of pool play
in a USA Softball National Championship. The coach is confused where the FLEX should be listed in the line-up since they are batting the entire
roster. To fill out the line-up correctly the coach asks you, the home plate umpire, before the line-up is officially turned in, where the FLEX goes.
How do you respond?

a. You tell them, since the pre-game conference has begun, it’s too late for your assistance and they must fill out the line-up card whatever
way they feel is correct.
b. You tell the coach to place the FLEX in the tenth position in the batting order and list the remaining roster players (EP’s) in the correct
batting order behind the FLEX.
c. You tell the coach they can place their EP’s anywhere they want in the batting order and, therefore, the FLEX can also be listed in any
position on the line-up card.
d. You tell the coach to place the FLEX in the last position on the line-up card.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Mon Dec 31, 2018 at 02:12pm. Reason: addition
Old Mon Dec 31, 2018, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
One of the questions on the 2019 exam. I know what my response to the coach would be, I just can't find a reference for it. Perhaps it's in the unpublished Umpires' Manual?

Perhaps it's more just a question about where the FLEX goes in pool play (or any time) and I'm reading it more like game management.

52) A JO Fast Pitch coach is getting ready to turn in their line-up at the pre-game coaches’ conference prior to their team’s first game of pool play
in a USA Softball National Championship. The coach is confused where the FLEX should be listed in the line-up since they are batting the entire
roster. To fill out the line-up correctly the coach asks you, the home plate umpire, before the line-up is officially turned in, where the FLEX goes.
How do you respond?

a. You tell them, since the pre-game conference has begun, it’s too late for your assistance and they must fill out the line-up card whatever
way they feel is correct.
b. You tell the coach to place the FLEX in the tenth position in the batting order and list the remaining roster players (EP’s) in the correct
batting order behind the FLEX.
c. You tell the coach they can place their EP’s anywhere they want in the batting order and, therefore, the FLEX can also be listed in any
position on the line-up card.
d. You tell the coach to place the FLEX in the last position on the line-up card.
Last. rule 4.3.B

NOTE: for other pool play questions, the EPs now do not have to be after the defensive players.