The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 02, 2019, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

3 umpire system discussion

We had a few discussions at a 3 umpire system recently. I'll not comment initially to see what others might think.

1. One guy wanted to know if U1 & U3 could switch runner leaving early responsibility in a first & third situation. (Pre-gamed.)

2. Can/should an umpire who has chased call OBS when it happens (assumes neither of the other umpires saw it)?

3. Should or must an umpire that chases verbalize to his/her partners?
Old Wed Apr 03, 2019, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
We had a few discussions at a 3 umpire system recently. I'll not comment initially to see what others might think.

1. One guy wanted to know if U1 & U3 could switch runner leaving early responsibility in a first & third situation. (Pre-gamed.)
The leaving early responsibilities with a runner on third - U3 and first - U1. Why would anyone want to change this? U3 is next to the runner on third; U1 is watching first, just like a two umpire case. Therefore, short answer is: No.

Quote:
2. Can/should an umpire who has chased call OBS when it happens (assumes neither of the other umpires saw it)?
The short answer is: no, but I would never say something so absolute (irony intended). I would say it would be ok in a case of a runner being knocked down, or where the remaining umpire is totally out of position (as if forgetting to assume the base umpire responsibility). But in your run of the mill obstruction: no.

Quote:
Yes, the chasing umpire should communicate in some fashion. I say: "Chase"; others say: "going" or "two man". Furthermore, the plate umpire should also communicate the umpire chased: I say: TWO MAN. Even when an umpire doesn't chase, you should also communicate the rotation (this from the USA play clarification two years ago).
Old Wed Apr 03, 2019, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

From non-college ump.

1) Is the why because of angle while also watching the pitcher, still makes it more difficult.

2) As said, watch it, know it, say so if asked (other than the extremes provided by Slick).

3) Of course, why wouldn't we communicate with our partners? Is someone too elite to think the PU might be screened from the BU?
I prefer "chasing", loudly.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2019, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

#1 This particular umpire presented line of sight as reasons for the switch. But if bases loaded, U3 has both first and third anyway. Personally, I'd not agree to changing the responsibilities with him. Imagine U1 calling the runner at third out for leaving early? Coach would have a field day with that. Our clinician said he would be OK with it.
#2 Most agree that the chasing ump only turns back to the infield and observes. While OBS is a DDB, and can be potentially remedied after the play is over, can the same be said for INT? INT is an immediate DB, an out, and runners return. Fixing that after the play is over could be a bit more difficult.
#3 We had mixed inputs on this, even from our clinicians. After a group discussion, I think everyone came around to the idea that a chasing umpire should say something, even if it might not be heard as his/her back would be to the infield. And PU should communicate "2 man!".

Opinions still come into play.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2019, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

One other matter I wanted to bring up was communication when no umpire chases.

I thought I made a comment somewhere in this forum that if no umpire chased, the PU would declare "All in!". Someone claimed to have never heard about that and it wasn't an approved mechanic.

Well, I picked up on it somewhere be it a NUS or an actual National Tournament. I can't remember exactly where I learned it. I don't have the opportunity to do many 3-ump games, but will make that call on occasion especially when one of the BUs declines to chase when they should have.

In any case, it does now appear in this year's Umpire Manual:

USA Softball expects umpires to use all three forms of communication
throughout the game in the Two and Three Umpire Systems. What umpires
specifically verbalize to their partners are up to them if it is clear, concise,
direct and loud enough. If a base umpire chases, they would verbalize,
“going”, “chase” and or “2 umpire” and the other umpire(s) should verbally
confirm. In the three umpire system when no umpire chases, the plate umpire verbally confirms that the crew remains in a three umpire system.
Terms such as “3 umpire”, “all in” etc should be used to do this. If a Plate
Umpire checks with Base Umpire for a check swing, they may verbally ask
“did they go”, “swing”. The ultimate goal is to COMMUNICATE.
Umpires need to understand that not rotating to the proper position in a
timely manner can be a form of a “breakdown” in the rotation. Umpires
that do not commit and move to their position for a play per USA Softball
Mechanics could communicate to their partner(s) that they are NOT rotating,
creating confusion between umpires.
Old Fri Apr 05, 2019, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In any case, it does now appear in this year's Umpire Manual:

USA Softball expects umpires to use all three forms of communication
throughout the game in the Two and Three Umpire Systems. What umpires
specifically verbalize to their partners are up to them if it is clear, concise,
direct and loud enough. If a base umpire chases, they would verbalize,
“going”, “chase” and or “2 umpire” and the other umpire(s) should verbally
confirm. In the three umpire system when no umpire chases, the plate umpire verbally confirms that the crew remains in a three umpire system.
Terms such as “3 umpire”, “all in” etc should be used to do this. If a Plate
Umpire checks with Base Umpire for a check swing, they may verbally ask
“did they go”, “swing”. The ultimate goal is to COMMUNICATE.
Umpires need to understand that not rotating to the proper position in a
timely manner can be a form of a “breakdown” in the rotation. Umpires
that do not commit and move to their position for a play per USA Softball
Mechanics could communicate to their partner(s) that they are NOT rotating,
creating confusion between umpires.
In days past, I worked a lot of ASA ball and not very much NCAA ball. Recently, I've been working a lot of NCAA ball and not a lot of ASA/USA Softball games. I haven't yet read my 2019 USA manual...but this verbiage sounds a LOT like what the NCAA leadership is saying.

I'm happy to see these codes start to align in their philosophies again. It makes it easier on us, and it does Miss Emily proud (even though she's stepped away from the college game as far as I knew last).

To the post: #1 - Don't pregame a deviation. The manual is there for a reason.

#2: Yes - if you go out, don't stay out with your back turned. If you see OBS in your general area, and your partners miss it badly, get it. (Get credible angle and distance first.)

#3: Always communicate. I'm guilty of this sometimes...I go on a fly ball and don't talk to my partners. My bad: always communicate.