The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   3 umpire situation (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103834-3-umpire-situation.html)

Andy Tue May 15, 2018 10:33am

3 umpire situation

Was watching one of our State Championship games last night with a group of umpires and a situation came up that got us talking....

3 umpire system, no runners on base.

High popup to short left field, F6 is moving backward and makes the catch easily on the edge of the grass. U3 turned to watch the catch, but PU makes the out call and signal with no signal from U3.

The discussion was whether or not U3 should have been moving toward second base since there was no chase. My initial thought was that she should have been, but upon thinking a bit more, I can see why she didn't.

When the ball came off the bat, it looked like it was going to be a deeper fly ball that required a chase, by the time U3 read that the ball was in fact much shallower than that, her path to second would have taken her in front of F6 attempting to catch the ball and could potentially be a distraction, although U3 would have been well in front of F6.

Thoughts?

Big Slick Tue May 15, 2018 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 1021584)
Was watching one of our State Championship games last night with a group of umpires and a situation came up that got us talking....

3 umpire system, no runners on base.

High popup to short left field, F6 is moving backward and makes the catch easily on the edge of the grass. U3 turned to watch the catch, but PU makes the out call and signal with no signal from U3.

The discussion was whether or not U3 should have been moving toward second base since there was no chase. My initial thought was that she should have been, but upon thinking a bit more, I can see why she didn't.

When the ball came off the bat, it looked like it was going to be a deeper fly ball that required a chase, by the time U3 read that the ball was in fact much shallower than that, her path to second would have taken her in front of F6 attempting to catch the ball and could potentially be a distraction, although U3 would have been well in front of F6.

Thoughts?

Yes, I have a thought.

We need to start teaching umpire to read the FIELDERS for chase situations instead of the "ball." If U3 has focused on F6 (eyes on the field), she would had seen how the play was developing and that no chase was required (and then moved to a position at second in case the ball was dropped). Trying to "guess the play by reading the ball" with her eyes skyward leads to bad reads.

This is akin to PU reading the catcher of fly balls around the plate. If PU "looks up," then there is a danger of being run over by the catcher.

I very much teach umpires to read players and not the ball for all chase situations. The only exception is when there is a question of fair/foul on a home run, as you then have to shift your focus to when the ball clears the fence. This also helps to decide who's chase area the ball is in by watching the fielder go into the chase area.

This also helps PU who doesn't work much 3 umpire because now their eyes are focused on the field. Their partners are now within the visual range. I tell people the best way to develop this skill is by working slow pitch, where there are more opportunities for fly balls.

If you want, we can discuss this theory more this summer, maybe in the mid-west, over a plate of ribs (and yes, I will be there the entire week this time:rolleyes:).

Therefore, as to your particular play, U3 should be moving towards second by being mindful of F6 catching the ball and then not being in any throwing lane when she passes F6 (maybe a "deeper" path is optional).

Big Slick Tue May 15, 2018 11:09am

Yes, I am going to reply to my response:

Talking about chase mechanics, here is a good example here from USA softball May clarifications.

One, using my "watch the fielder theory" U1 looks to be watching F9 instead of the flight of the ball. That's good, because it puts him in a position for two elements of the play: fair/foul and catch/no catch. When you SEE the fielder runner towards the line, it is important to straddle the line for this view.

However, there is a second aspect that is stressed on the USA softball DVD's: stop-see the play-make the call (and if you can't here that with a deep, Southern draw, you need to watch the DVD's). U1 was not set to see the play (in this case, a first touch in fair territory).

BTW, U3 needed to be inside to cover first, assuming that no runners were on base, and second and STAY inside to cover third (and not be behind the play).

CecilOne Tue May 15, 2018 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 1021587)
Yes, I have a thought.

We need to start teaching umpire to read the FIELDERS for chase situations instead of the "ball." If U3 has focused on F6 (eyes on the field), she would had seen how the play was developing and that no chase was required (and then moved to a position at second in case the ball was dropped). Trying to "guess the play by reading the ball" with her eyes skyward leads to bad reads.

This is akin to PU reading the catcher of fly balls around the plate. If PU "looks up," then there is a danger of being run over by the catcher.

I very much teach umpires to read players and not the ball for all chase situations. The only exception is when there is a question of fair/foul on a home run, as you then have to shift your focus to when the ball clears the fence. This also helps to decide who's chase area the ball is in by watching the fielder go into the chase area.

This also helps PU who doesn't work much 3 umpire because now their eyes are focused on the field. Their partners are now within the visual range. I tell people the best way to develop this skill is by working slow pitch, where there are more opportunities for fly balls.

If you want, we can discuss this theory more this summer, maybe in the mid-west, over a plate of ribs (and yes, I will be there the entire week this time:rolleyes:).

Therefore, as to your particular play, U3 should be moving towards second by being mindful of F6 catching the ball and then not being in any throwing lane when she passes F6 (maybe a "deeper" path is optional).

1) I recognize you have better knowledge of this than I do, but don't we have to read the ball to see if it really should be chased?

2) Also, once the U3 turned outward, shouldn't the PU yield to U3 for the call?

Big Slick Tue May 15, 2018 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1021592)
1) I recognize you have better knowledge of this than I do, but don't we have to read the ball to see if it really should be chased?

Well, yes and no. You read the ball off the bat, as that gives you indication of location. In the case presented, U3 can read the ball off the bat as "in the air, towards left" and the picked up which fielder.

For another example, ball hit in the air to center. U1 has "first right of refusal" and then let F8 break the tie: does F8 move a step to her right (then U3 should chase) or stay still/move to her left (U1).

Basically, it is not just a "reaction to the hit" (which happened in the OP), but reading what actually is happening.

Quote:

2) Also, once the U3 turned outward, shouldn't the PU yield to U3 for the call?
If U3 communicated the chase, then yes. If any communication was present, Andy didn't say. But if U1 or U3 communicate the chase, then chase. And I have seen a chase where the ball was blown back into the infield.

IRISHMAFIA Wed May 16, 2018 09:38am

As I realized at about the age of 10, the fielder will guide you to the ball.

What brought me to this revelation at such a young age? Going to pro baseball games and hearing the crowd "oooohh!" and "aaaahh!" at the big swing and loud crack of the bat only to see the infielder set up under and catch the pop-up.

[mini rant]This is also why I am not a big fan of those who insist it is necessary to watch the ball at all costs. Who cares that an umpire takes his/her eyes off a bounding ball in the outfield to monitor runners and infielders doing what they do?[/mini rant]

3afan Wed May 16, 2018 01:08pm

Half the time I don't see the ball .. I have to use the fielders! :-)

Tru_in_Blu Tue May 22, 2018 01:24pm

Discussion on this situation...3-umpire system.

Runner on third base only and there is a base hit to the outfield, whose responsibility is it to cover BR at home plate?

Big Slick Tue May 22, 2018 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1021846)
Discussion on this situation...3-umpire system.

Runner on third base only and there is a base hit to the outfield, whose responsibility is it to cover BR at home plate?

U1, assuming your question involves no umpire chasing.

Since this is standard starting positioning, U3 would rotate to second, U1 would buttonhook and watch BR at first. PU would watch R1 touch home while moving toward a calling position at third. PU needs to communicate when he arrives at third.

As BR touches second and moves to third, U1 would rotate home, communicating that he is covering home.

Tru_in_Blu Tue May 22, 2018 08:44pm

Thank you, Slick. That is exactly my thinking. Actually, not even my thinking, it's right out of the mechanics.

We were told that the Plate Umpire would make the call.

DaveASA/FED Wed May 30, 2018 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1021866)
Thank you, Slick. That is exactly my thinking. Actually, not even my thinking, it's right out of the mechanics.

We were told that the Plate Umpire would make the call.

Just wondering, who (not asking names just in general) told you PU would make that call?

Tru_in_Blu Wed May 30, 2018 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED (Post 1022006)
Just wondering, who (not asking names just in general) told you PU would make that call?

It was a posted answer to a quiz we took on 3-umpire mechanics.

Someone might think that's the right answer, or the answer was mis-posted from one person to another.