The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   reversed call (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103804-reversed-call.html)

Six_DanO Wed May 02, 2018 07:30am

reversed call

Bases loaded, 2 outs. Batter has an actual count of 1 ball-2 strikes but the plate ump had it reversed 2-1. Next pitch is a strike which would have retired the side but no one questioned it. Count now is 2-2 and the batter hits a line drive scoring 2 runs for the go ahead. Defensive coach calls time and appeals the count on that batter prior to the hit, both umps discuss it and call the batter out on strikes negating the hit and subsequent runs which eventually cost them the game. This was sent to me in a email by a fellow ump who was questioned by the coach who was on the losing side of that event.....

What is the proper correct way or mechanic to handle this type of situation?
My thought is the hit stands, runs score, and the appeal was made after the pitch so there is nothing to discuss.....

CecilOne Wed May 02, 2018 08:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six_DanO (Post 1021226)
Bases loaded, 2 outs. Batter has an actual count of 1 ball-2 strikes but the plate ump had it reversed 2-1. Next pitch is a strike which would have retired the side but no one questioned it. Count now is 2-2 and the batter hits a line drive scoring 2 runs for the go ahead. Defensive coach calls time and appeals the count on that batter prior to the hit, both umps discuss it and call the batter out on strikes negating the hit and subsequent runs which eventually cost them the game. This was sent to me in a email by a fellow ump who was questioned by the coach who was on the losing side of that event.....

My thought is the hit stands, runs score, and the appeal was made after the pitch so there is nothing to discuss.....

A call can't be corrected after a pitch; but the question is whether the mistake was the pitch that should have been strike 3 or the pitch which was hit. Obviously, both were problems. I probably would apply the umpire jeopardy rule and proceed as if the PU had the count correct in the first place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six_DanO (Post 1021226)
What is the proper correct way or mechanic to handle this type of situation?.....

What you describe seems ok for procedure; regardless of the result.

Andy Wed May 02, 2018 11:08am

Similar situations have been discussed here before.

If I remember correctly, the consensus was the inning should have been over on the third strike that was missed, so nothing can happen after that.
Hits and runs that occurred are negated, the inning is over, switch sides.

RKBUmp Wed May 02, 2018 04:53pm

USA softball has a case play or clarification stating an incorrect count can be corrected up until a pitch is thrown to ANOTHER batter. So yes, the umpire can correct the count, call the batter out on strikes and negate any play as a result of that batter putting the ball into play.

Duke Sat May 19, 2018 12:06pm

Can you point me to the rule clarification? I believe what you say but would like to read it.

Tru_in_Blu Sat May 19, 2018 12:59pm

May 2012

When can Umpires Correct the Count

We as umpires, sometime in our umpire career, thought we had the count wrong or had the wrong count and passed it on to the players and coaches. When an umpire realizes the error, when and how can it be corrected? The answer is, an umpire can correct the count on a batter at any point during the batter’s time at bat and before a pitch to the next batter. Example:

PLAY: With 2 outs, R1 on 3B and a count of three balls and one strike on B4, the next pitch is a ball. The umpire calls ball but does not recognize it as ball four. The next pitch to the same batter is fouled off and the umpire gives the count as three balls and two strikes. In a) the offensive coach asks for time, approaches the plate umpire and says “their batter should be on 1B because the previous pitch was ball four.” In b) the umpire gives the count as three balls and two strikes and the next pitch is hit for a home run. Before a pitch to the next batter the defensive coach approaches the plate umpire and said the count was wrong and that player should have been walked.
Ruling: In a) once the umpires get together, discuss the situation and discover the count was wrong, B4 should be awarded 1B since B4 should have received a base on balls two pitches before. In b) once the umpires get together, discuss the situation and discovered the count was wrong, B4 should be placed on 1B because B4 should have been awarded a base on balls two pitches before.