The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Asking for help

NFHS Varsity game. 2 outs in the 7th inning. Catcher throws down to first to try to pick the runner off. Umpire on the bases calls safe. Coach comes out of the dugout yelling at the home plate umpire that the runner came off the bag. Home plate umpire then walks to the base umpire and says "i have her off the bag, shes out" Game ends. This just seems a little off to me
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

That's never going to happen. At least not if I were the base ump.

If the DC requested (nicely), and if I thought there was a possibility that I missed an element of the play, I'd ask my partner a specific question. Depending on his response, I would or would not change my call.

But if things happened as you've described, there'd be hell to pay, right there on the field. Don't care if my partner was my boss, assignor, whatever. It would probably be my last game with that association (because of my reaction)
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Wow

Yes. That is completely unacceptable.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 03:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuphloyd View Post
NFHS Varsity game. 2 outs in the 7th inning. Catcher throws down to first to try to pick the runner off. Umpire on the bases calls safe. Coach comes out of the dugout yelling at the home plate umpire that the runner came off the bag. Home plate umpire then walks to the base umpire and says "i have her off the bag, shes out" Game ends. This just seems a little off to me
I'd be on the phone to the assigner before leaving the parking lot.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 04:28pm
Stirrer of the Pot

You should have titled this thread, "How Not to Ask for Help, and How Not to Respond", because the coach didn't ask the correct umpire, and the PU certainly screwed the pooch on this one.

Believe it or not, this situation is a mandatory "must ask" to get help in college play. NCAA Rule 15.4.3 says, "On a decision regarding a pick-off attempt, when asked by either coach, the base umpire must confer with his or her partner." No different than when the catcher asks the PU to go for help on a checked swing. The umpire has no choice.

So perhaps this PU was thinking he/she was working a college game, and knew his/her partner had to come to him/her for help. So he/she went ahead and gave that help from a distance to get the call right.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Even then, it's up to the calling umpire whether to use the information he received from his partner in deciding to keep or change his call.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2018, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isuphloyd View Post
It is not a little off, it is WAY off.
I count at least 4 errors, not counting the post-game lecture.