The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS pitcher's foot (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103753-nfhs-pitchers-foot.html)

Manny A Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1020706)
/rant on

THERE ARE NO MOUNDS IN SOFTBALL!!!

/rant off

Funny you should say that. I was watching the telecast of the Tennessee / Auburn game last weekend. Whoever the color person was in the booth, she kept referring to a mound. I would suspect she's a former NCAA D1 player who should know better!

BretMan Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:44pm

I've heard a few D1 NCAA coaches call it "the mound" too. So, however much it might make an umpire cringe...apparently it is an accepted slang/colloquialism throughout softball, even by those that do know better.

Tru_in_Blu Thu Apr 12, 2018 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaincoach (Post 1020711)
LOL. Excuse me! Feel better now?

Well, a little, but that's because I don't know your recidivism rate. :p

Mountaincoach Thu Apr 12, 2018 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1020720)
Well, a little, but that's because I don't know your recidivism rate. :p

LOL. My parole officer told me to let it go. :) From this point on, I'll probably be the only guy around here who refers to it as the plate instead of the mound.

youngump Thu Apr 12, 2018 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1020705)
I don't have a problem telling on fields that have actual 24" x 6" undamaged plates with no large holes behind or in front. All you're looking for is a noticeable gap between the heel and the rubber where you can see the dirt.

That's what I said, if there's space I call it. :cool: I'm not sure if we're just talking past each other or if we actually differ in some way on this call.

Tru_in_Blu Thu Apr 12, 2018 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaincoach (Post 1020722)
LOL. My parole officer told me to let it go. :) From this point on, I'll probably be the only guy around here who refers to it as the plate instead of the mound.

Well, then, it's up to you to carry the message to your blue brothers and sisters. Change occurs slowly, particularly when you have folks that work both small ball and softball.

And as mentioned, even the talking heads on softball broadcasts fail our sport!

Fight the good fight! :)

IRISHMAFIA Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:54pm

It is a leftover from the baseball invasion of softball. Still have a fair amount of people from baseball in the game. The players repeat what they hear from the coaches and fans.

And the talking heads......well, their respect for the game is questionable at best. JMHO.

teebob21 Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaincoach (Post 1020702)
By the time she delivered her pitch, that foot was easily 8 or 10 inches off the mound with her toe driving down hard in the dirt. I was coaching 1st and quietly mentioned it to the field umpire who did nothing.

Unless the pitcher was stepping forward off the pitcher's plate, this is a legal pitch in all codes. F1 does not have to be in contact with the plate at the time of release. Good job on the base umpire. Fed 6-1-2-C for reference.

Mountaincoach Sun Apr 15, 2018 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1020753)
Unless the pitcher was stepping forward off the pitcher's plate, this is a legal pitch in all codes. F1 does not have to be in contact with the plate at the time of release. Good job on the base umpire. Fed 6-1-2-C for reference.

First, as mentioned earlier, her foot was never on the top of the plate. Secondly, the FU acknowledged it WAS illegal but declined to go any further under the circumstances, and I, quite frankly, did not want to stop the game and cause a scene. And yes, I know the foot does not have to be in contact with the plate at the time of release.