The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   USA test question #2 (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103749-usa-test-question-2-a.html)

CecilOne Sat Apr 07, 2018 05:16pm

USA test question #2

USA test question #2

Bottom of 7th, score tied. R1 scores the winning run from 2nd. Umpire notices that R1 did not touch 3rd, but no appeal made. F1 and infielders leave the field, but umpires are still there. F5 returns to 3rd and appeals R1 missing 3rd.

The umpire rules no appeal as the infielders have left the field.
Why isn’t this a case of “on the last play of the game”, “umpires had not left the field” ? RS 1 – E3

Tru_in_Blu Sat Apr 07, 2018 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1020536)
USA test question #2

Bottom of 7th, score tied. R1 scores the winning run from 2nd. Umpire notices that R1 did not touch 3rd, but no appeal made. F1 and infielders leave the field, but umpires are still there. F5 returns to 3rd and appeals R1 missing 3rd.

Why isn’t this a case of “on the last play of the game”, “umpires had not left the field” ? RS 1 – E3

8.7.I.1.b

IRISHMAFIA Sat Apr 07, 2018 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1020536)
USA test question #2

Seems to me is should be since E2 is specific to the end of an inning and E3 is specific to the end of the game. Maybe the first word to E3 should be "And"

Of course, my question is if the fielders are gone, why aren't the umpires?

Tru_in_Blu Sat Apr 07, 2018 06:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1020542)
Seems to me is should be since E2 is specific to the end of an inning and E3 is specific to the end of the game.

When the go ahead run scores in the bottom of a last inning of a game (timed, regular, extra innings) isn't the inning considered "ended"? If the game is ended, almost by definition, the inning that makes up the game has ended as well.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Apr 07, 2018 06:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1020546)
When the go ahead run scores in the last inning of a game (timed, regular, extra innings) isn't the inning considered "ended"? If the game is ended, almost by definition, the inning that makes up the game has ended as well.

Not if the home team is winning :)

The point is the RS does not quantify the umpires leaving the field as an additional requirement for the end of the game

Tru_in_Blu Sat Apr 07, 2018 06:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1020548)
Not if the home team is winning :)

Caught that and edited it, but you're just too quick for me. ;)