The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Criminetly! This is not hard.

Can the change be entered on the umpire's lineup card when the coach announces the change?
Yes... not a projected sub.
No... a projected sub.

Is this the official interpretation of the NCAA? BFOM; I don't officiate NCAA.

Have the rules writers and interpreters and clinicians screwed it up?
Yes.
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I disagree that it would be a projected substitute. I've been dealing with attempted projected substitutes for a quarter of a entry and IMO that is a misinterpretation. While it may not be a smart move by the coach, there is no requirement for a player being entered in the batting order to make an immediate appearance as a batter. Then again, the BS I've seen thrown around NFHS recently, I have often wondered how many actually know what a projected sub is.
I don't disagree at all [with you]. One can only work with the interpretations handed down.

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Sat Jan 20, 2018 at 10:41pm. Reason: clarify
Old Sat Jan 20, 2018, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(snip) there is no requirement for a player being entered in the batting order to make an immediate appearance as a batter
Last year's NCAA ruleset/interpretations did require this. For example, if the 4-5-6 batters were due up in the inning, Coach could not sub for B5 until her turn to bat. It was not intuitive, slowed the game, and complicated things with respect to DP/Flex. IMO, they fixed it, which is why I said earlier that I think this is a positive rule change.
Old Sun Jan 21, 2018, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

However, Teebob, if the Defense coach wanted to pull his shortstop when she tanked a play, even if she's due to bat 5th in the upcoming at-bat, we still accepted that change. Go figure.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
However, Teebob, if the Defense coach wanted to pull his shortstop when she tanked a play, even if she's due to bat 5th in the upcoming at-bat, we still accepted that change. Go figure.
I found this post confusing. I'm not sure in what way it's a however. Let me restate my understanding.

Play: F6 commits a throwing error which results in a run scoring. The third out is recorded later in the same play.
NCAA last year: F6 cannot be replaced until she is due to bat.
NCAA this year and every other 4 base code: F6 can be replaced now even though she won't be up to bat until 5th in the inning.

Is that how we all understand it?
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Last year's NCAA ruleset/interpretations did require this. For example, if the 4-5-6 batters were due up in the inning, Coach could not sub for B5 until her turn to bat. It was not intuitive, slowed the game, and complicated things with respect to DP/Flex. IMO, they fixed it, which is why I said earlier that I think this is a positive rule change.
IMO, this is a result of a complete misunderstanding of alleged softball people of the definition of a projected substitute.

It is easier than understanding the effect of an infield fly. I believe there is too much emphasis placed on a player's defensive position or batting order slot. Making a change is not that difficult and when you make it, the change is effective immediately. Not next inning, not whenever the coaches ask it to be or any other time.

Again, it is not hard to understand. It doesn't delay the game or affect the flow. At least it hasn't for over 80 years of softball.

Going in any other direction can only set up the umpire and coach for possible failure at some point in the game.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2018, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
I found this post confusing. I'm not sure in what way it's a however. Let me restate my understanding.

Play: F6 commits a throwing error which results in a run scoring. The third out is recorded later in the same play.
NCAA last year: F6 cannot be replaced until she is due to bat.
NCAA this year and every other 4 base code: F6 can be replaced now even though she won't be up to bat until 5th in the inning.

Is that how we all understand it?
I don't do NCAA, so haven't followed this thread that closely. But the comment about "F6 cannot be replaced until she is due to bat" simply makes no sense at all. That eliminates ANY defensive substitutions.

What would happen if a defensive player were injured? Or a coach wanted to make a multiple position swap by moving the current pitcher to another defensive position, removing the player at that position, and entering a new pitcher?

I don't mean to further confuse the issue, but apparently this thread doesn't need my help to do that.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I don't do NCAA, so haven't followed this thread that closely. But the comment about "F6 cannot be replaced until she is due to bat" simply makes no sense at all. That eliminates ANY defensive substitutions.

What would happen if a defensive player were injured? Or a coach wanted to make a multiple position swap by moving the current pitcher to another defensive position, removing the player at that position, and entering a new pitcher?

I don't mean to further confuse the issue, but apparently this thread doesn't need my help to do that.
Old Rule:
8.5.1.1 Any player may be substituted for at any time when the ball is dead as long as she immediately participates in the game.

If F6 does not come to bat in the next half-inning, the substitution can take place when her team takes the field on defense.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
Old Rule:
8.5.1.1 Any player may be substituted for at any time when the ball is dead as long as she immediately participates in the game.

If F6 does not come to bat in the next half-inning, the substitution can take place when her team takes the field on defense.
That didn't help.

A defensive substitute is immediately participating in the game. The change can come in the middle of a half inning.

Not sure what you mean by "if F6 does not come to bat ..." If F6 is scheduled to bat 7th next half-inning, we don't know if she will come to bat in the next half-inning or not.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Making a change is not that difficult and when you make it, the change is effective immediately.

Making a change is not that difficult and when you make it, the change is effective immediately.

Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

the comment about "immediately participating in the game" is what I think most complicates what is an incredibly simple rule.

A player is "participating in a the game" by just sitting on the bench, waiting for her at-bat, which could be as many as 8 batters away.

For a DP, she is "participating in the game" while she sits on the bench as her team is getting beat up on defense for a 1/2 hour, and her at-bat is up to 8 batters away.

If she's in the batting lineup, she's "participating in the game". Period.

Last edited by jmkupka; Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 02:00pm.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
That didn't help.

A defensive substitute is immediately participating in the game. The change can come in the middle of a half inning.

Not sure what you mean by "if F6 does not come to bat ..." If F6 is scheduled to bat 7th next half-inning, we don't know if she will come to bat in the next half-inning or not.
Notice in my play, the third out was recorded on the play. As such, in the old NCAA rule, F6 could not be removed until due up to bat or when she was returning to defense. In other words, the NCAA messed up the concept of a substitution by claiming that players waiting to bat but not actually at bat were not participating in the game. This year they fixed it and it works like every other code. But they did it in a way that is still leaving some people messed up on the subject.
(Or my understanding of what's up is wrong.)
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

If a player is in the batting order, the player is a game participant
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If a player is in the batting order, the player is a game participant
Exactly!
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Exactly!
I agree. What I can't tell is if you're trying to disagree with something I said or just make a point about how utterly ridiculous the previous NCAA interpretation was.