The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know if there is a rule to have gates or some other protective barrier in a sofball dugout?
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amilise
Does anyone know if there is a rule to have gates or some other protective barrier in a sofball dugout?
Speaking ASA

As far as I know, the only requirement for a dugout is that it needs to be in DBT (dead ball territory). There are no rules regarding the construction of the dugout.

Oh, and welcome to the board.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Should be designated for players, coaches, batboys and official representatives of the team only. There shall be no smoking in this area.

Thats per ASA rule book, and is all I am aware of. I would suggest a fence/barrier/gate, to help keep errant throws out. Also equipment shelves, or areas. Make large enough to accomodate larger teams, and keep it behind fencing, so no extra corners in playing area develop. Compare the fields you have seen and take the best from all. Give some thought to a comfort station for the umpires, stocked with air conditioner, cold drinks, sandwiches, sunflower seeds etc. (it was worth a try!)
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amilise
I wouldn't pay too much attention to folks on this board or you might end up with dugouts 20' beyond first & third bases.

No rule, but it is usually best if sized to fit approximate 20 "men" with minimal exposure to playable territory.

Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Bad field construction 101...

There is a field at a softball complex near here that is built as follows:

A 4' retaining wall is just beyond DBT along the 3rd base side (the field is elevated, so there is a drop off.) There is no fence past the backstop. The team bench sits just in front of the drop off, just barely in DTB. The bench is open to the field (no protective fence, etc.)

There is a fence at the DBT boundary along the 1st base line. There is a hill (going up) just behind the fence. The team bench sits in front of the DBT fence (i.e. in what would otherwise be live ball territory.) No protection for the team bench here, either.

The ground rule I use at that field is any ball in the vicinity of the 1st base team bench is dead. I ask coaches to try to control the clutter, but recognizing that a team bench will have stuff laying around, if the ball gets into the stuff it is dead, just as if it went into a dugout.

With younger kids, I also request that all players on the bench keep their fielders glove on at all times.