The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
During a run down between second and third, the runner was obstructed by the shortstop (who at that time was out of the play). We signalled and verbally stated that it was obstuction. The fielders and runners went back and forth a few times, and the runner finally tried to make it to third but was tagged out. Here is my question. What criteria do you use to know where to place the runner? In this case she was obstructed halfway between second and third, and was going in the direction of second when she was obstructed. Do you put her there for that reason or since she tried to go to third but was tagged out do you put her there? I know the rule says you place her on the base she would have reached had there been no obstrution, but in this case how do you tell? Dave
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
Every rundown is different in that you'll know where to place the obstructed runner when you see the play. But, chances are good that the runner will not make the "next" base in most of them - especially if the defense plays it right. In your play, I'd most likely have the runner back on second. Another item to watch for in rundowns is that often you'll see a runner try to make contact with a fielder who is not part of the play at that time and hope to get an obstruction call.

Steve M
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Without being there and actually seeing the play, I would tend to award the base that she was running towards in a rundown situation. At the time of obstruction, if she was going towards 2nd, I would award 2nd. If I actually saw the play, I may change my mind.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blue
Without being there and actually seeing the play, I would tend to award the base that she was running towards in a rundown situation. At the time of obstruction, if she was going towards 2nd, I would award 2nd. If I actually saw the play, I may change my mind.
Cannot answer the question without the information Blue notes above. The rule states that they cannot be put out between the bases where the runner was obstructed.

However, the award should be the base the runner would have reached had the obstruction not occur. So, if the runner was obstructed going back to 2B, there really isn't any indication the runner would have been safe at any other base than 2B had the obstruction not occurred.

Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Here lies another problem. Many times in a rundown (more than 50% of the time, the runner will be put out.) So how can you give her a base she would have made had there been no obstruction? Dave
Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shipwreck
Here lies another problem. Many times in a rundown (more than 50% of the time, the runner will be put out.) So how can you give her a base she would have made had there been no obstruction? Dave
As an umpire, I only determine the base to which the runner is sent. The defense is the culprit which causes the runner to be safe, not the umpire.

Old Sun Oct 05, 2003, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

HTBT, but from what you described, I'd place her at 2nd.

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995