The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 12:45pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Schutt Low Profile Protector

Just wondering if anyone here purchased one of these this season, and if they can give a pros and cons assessment of it. My current chest protector is reaching the end of its life expectancy, and I'm looking for something that's adequate for up to D1 ball without all the bulkiness. Legends Athletic Supply had them at the NCAA meeting I attended in Philadelphia in January, but I was a little skeptical about getting one since it just didn't feel like it could handle those 65-70 mph heaters.

Schutt Low Profile Umpire Chest Protector | Shop SPD
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Just wondering if anyone here purchased one of these this season, and if they can give a pros and cons assessment of it. My current chest protector is reaching the end of its life expectancy, and I'm looking for something that's adequate for up to D1 ball without all the bulkiness. Legends Athletic Supply had them at the NCAA meeting I attended in Philadelphia in January, but I was a little skeptical about getting one since it just didn't feel like it could handle those 65-70 mph heaters.

Schutt Low Profile Umpire Chest Protector | Shop SPD
An umpiring friend of mine has worn one of these for at least a couple of years. I inquired of him and his reply follows:
"I wear mine at the D1 level and have taken hits and not felt them near as much as my previous chest protector. It is very low profile. Love mine."

Hope that helps.