The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 12, 2017, 09:16am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
While it wasn't some supposed medical piercing, I do remember seeing something from nfhs several years back about a player wearing an insulin pump and it should be allowed.
That makes sense. Denying a player from playing because she has an insulin pump would go against the NFHS policy of making "reasonable accommodations for athletes, coaches and officials with disabilities."

Also, NFHS rule 3-2-13 specifically points out that "Each state association may, in keeping with applicable laws, authorize exceptions to NFHS playing rules to provide reasonable accommodations to individual participants with disabilities and/or special needs, as well as those individuals with unique and extenuating circumstances. The accommodations should not fundamentally alter the sport, heighten risk to the athlete/others or place opponents at a disadvantage."

That's fundamentally different than allowing an earring that supposedly alleviates migraines. Unless the player's coach shows me a letter from the doctor that says this, she's not playing with it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Jul 12, 2017, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
...Unless the player's coach shows me a letter from the doctor that says this, she's not playing with it.
As much as I dislike being the clothing and jewelry police, I disagree with this for NFHS. Earrings are one of the items declared to be illegal by black-letter rule:
ART. 12 . . . Players in the game are prohibited from wearing jewelry such as rings, watches, earrings, bracelets, necklaces (including cloth or string types) or other hard cosmetic or decorative items.
I would need for the state association to issue a ruling, or she is not playing with that earring in her ear, doctor's letter or not. The doc can prescribe the earring (assuming he is silly enough, IMO), but he cannot make it legal to wear in a high school game.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2017, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpteenth View Post
And, finally, we won't have 10U girls playing in the dirt any more, lol.
I'm not recommending anyone do this, but last time I umpired 10U, F6 wanted to play tic tac toe with me. In the first inning, when I moved over to C position, she drew a tic tac toe board in the dirt with her foot, looked me square in the eye and said "I'm X's. You're O's".

I lost.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2017, 02:45pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
I'm not recommending anyone do this, but last time I umpired 10U, F6 wanted to play tic tac toe with me. In the first inning, when I moved over to C position, she drew a tic tac toe board in the dirt with her foot, looked me square in the eye and said "I'm X's. You're O's".

I lost.
That's awesome!
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jul 17, 2017, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
I am a medical doctor, and I say hogwash. There is absolutely no published medical journal evidence to support those claims, and I've had to remove/dig out those things and treat infections on more than one occasion. Nip that in the bud before it gets started. I'd advise you tell the players to get a legitimate note from their medical doctor or have that nonsense out of their ears before the next set of games.
I can't speak from the USA side or the medical side of things, but I think from an umpire's side of things at the High School level, this is where the player would need a doctors note indicating the device is for medical purposes. Generally we are told that if there are any equipment pieces that are non-traditional in nature, they need approval of the state association. I think for medical devices like prosthetics a state association letter is needed as well. I would consider this the same way.

I don't doubt that there may be some truth to the fact that pressure points can help with migraines, but I think there needs to be much more study done to determine if it is really effective.

Sadly we now live in a world were legitimate medical treatment, snake oil, and anything else are all being lumped into one big witches kettle and what comes up depends on the medical provided providing the information.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2017, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
As much as I dislike being the clothing and jewelry police, I disagree with this for NFHS. Earrings are one of the items declared to be illegal by black-letter rule:
ART. 12 . . . Players in the game are prohibited from wearing jewelry such as rings, watches, earrings, bracelets, necklaces (including cloth or string types) or other hard cosmetic or decorative items.
I would need for the state association to issue a ruling, or she is not playing with that earring in her ear, doctor's letter or not. The doc can prescribe the earring (assuming he is silly enough, IMO), but he cannot make it legal to wear in a high school game.
If it is on a doctors note that she needs to wear it, is it still an earring or is it a medical device?
Old Mon Jul 17, 2017, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
If it is on a doctors note that she needs to wear it, is it still an earring or is it a medical device?
Your question is basically irrelevant, IMO, unless the state association makes a written accommodation for it.

To make an absurd analogy, an I.V. bag on a wheeled stand is a medical device, but would not be allowed in the game.

Unless or until the state association issues a written accommodation, it is illegal. I'm not telling her to take off her "medical device". I'm telling her she can't play with it on. Her choice: play or don't play.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2017, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
That's awesome!
I thought so too. I wish that game would have gone into extra innings so we could have had a rematch.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Last year during the high school season, I had one high school where the head coach did present me at the pregame meeting with a doctor's letter stating that a player was wearing this piercing for prevention of her migraines. Several days prior to the game we received an e-mail from the president of our high school umpires association (CHSSUA) stating that after discussions with state high school athletic association it was deemed appropriate, and we were to allow it. We did. But I also noticed that this player was the only girl on the team wearing any jewelry.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Blue View Post
Last year during the high school season, I had one high school where the head coach did present me at the pregame meeting with a doctor's letter stating that a player was wearing this piercing for prevention of her migraines. Several days prior to the game we received an e-mail from the president of our high school umpires association (CHSSUA) stating that after discussions with state high school athletic association it was deemed appropriate, and we were to allow it. We did. But I also noticed that this player was the only girl on the team wearing any jewelry.
Yes, it is called a Daith Piercing that is supposed to relieve headaches. From what I can see/read, there is no evidence it is effective other than some using this method of treatment acknowledge there is some relief.

Are you sure the note was from a medical doctor and not the "doctor" at the local tattoo parlor?
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Yes, it is called a Daith Piercing that is supposed to relieve headaches. From what I can see/read, there is no evidence it is effective other than some using this method of treatment acknowledge there is some relief.

Are you sure the note was from a medical doctor and not the "doctor" at the local tattoo parlor?

That's funny! One of my fellow umpires asked the same question, actually beat me to it. He got an nasty e-mail response basically telling him to shut up and not worry about it.
This player's was actual small and on the inside of the ear, really not an issue.

I wonder if I can get a piercing that works to eliminate the parents whinny voices?
Old Tue Jul 18, 2017, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
not an issue.

I wonder if I can get a piercing that works to eliminate the parents whinny voices?
perhaps this would work ;^)

https://smile.amazon.com/ClearArmor-...otection&psc=1
Old Fri Jul 28, 2017, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I came across the same issue this year. Was informed by the IHSAA to allow the player to play with this type of stud in her ear.

So we did. She played about 7-8 before I even questioned it. Everyone else ignored it..