The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   retired BR (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102785-retired-br.html)

jmkupka Mon Jul 03, 2017 07:51am

retired BR

R1 on 3B, R2 on 1B, no outs.
Looper to shallow RF. F9 bobbles, then corrals it in.

Fires to F3, who dives at 1B and tags it with glove.

R2, in no-man's land, gets doubled off 1B by the appeal throw (very close play).

BR is standing on 1B as the throw comes in.

If (IMJ), BR's foot blocked F3's access to 1B, would we have a retired runner INT, R1 out?

Or is retired BR handled differently than retired R?

(I'm guessing, if BR stepped off the bag, toward F3, to block the glove touch, it would be a no-brainer INT)

CecilOne Mon Jul 03, 2017 08:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkupka (Post 1007431)
R1 on 3B, R2 on 1B, no outs.
Looper to shallow RF. F9 bobbles, then corrals it in.

Fires to F3, who dives at 1B and tags it with glove.

R2, in no-man's land, gets doubled off 1B by the appeal throw (very close play).

BR is standing on 1B as the throw comes in.

If (IMJ), BR's foot blocked F3's access to 1B, would we have a retired runner INT, R1 out?

Or is retired BR handled differently than retired R?

(I'm guessing, if BR stepped off the bag, toward F3, to block the glove touch, it would be a no-brainer INT)

Apparently, BR is out on the fly ball catch, so retired runner rule applies.

The question is then who is out. By 8-7-N, it's the runner closest to home.
That becomes a timing play. :eek:

Someone say it's not that complicated. :rolleyes:

Manny A Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1007432)
Apparently, BR is out on the fly ball catch, so retired runner rule applies.

The question is then who is out. By 8-7-N, it's the runner closest to home.
That becomes a timing play. :eek:

Someone say it's not that complicated. :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like you nailed it. And there really is no distinction between a retired BR and a retired runner, AFAIK.

jmkupka Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:22pm

Thanks guys,
AFA the timing issue, wasn't a problem as R1 had to stay close to 3B due to the shallow fly ball...

Guarantee there's not a coach around who would expect an umpire to say, "INT on the retired batter, runner on 3B is also out."

some day... some day... :)

MT 73 Thu Jul 06, 2017 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmkupka (Post 1007542)
Thanks guys,
AFA the timing issue, wasn't a problem as R1 had to stay close to 3B due to the shallow fly ball...

Guarantee there's not a coach around who would expect an umpire to say, "INT on the retired batter, runner on 3B is also out."

some day... some day... :)

In my HS umpire class they told us to get ready to run to your car after making that (correct) call.

Manny A Thu Jul 06, 2017 02:42pm

Okay, now that I think about this a little more, we usually don't hold a retired runner accountable for still being in live ball territory after being retired. For example, when R1 is put out at second base on the front end of a DP, he/she isn't expected to disappear when the pivot person's throw is headed to first base, and it hits the retired runner. If he/she does something intentional, that's a different story. But if he/she is simply continuing to run following his/her putout, and inadvertently gets in the way of a play, that's typically not interference.

So in your play, if the retired BR really had no chance to get out of the way of the play, is it an infraction?

jmkupka Thu Jul 06, 2017 03:12pm

yup, that's why I put the blurb at the end OP... having BR foot in the dirt next to the bag, blocking the glove tag of the base, is an easier call.
But just standing on the bag, and covering the area that F3 is diving to?
Remember, BR didn't have to be standing there. Could have overrun 1B.