The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   today's OBS (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102718-todays-obs.html)

CecilOne Sun Jun 04, 2017 04:07pm

today's OBS

On next field:

Runners on 1st & 2nd, deep base hit to left.
R1 rounds 3rd, collides with F5, knocked down and stays down.
R2 rounds 3rd, passes R1 and scores.
BR/R3 reaches 3rd safely, with ball thrown to 3rd then pitcher.

Ruling.
R1 scores as judged to reach home of not OBS.
R2 scores on OBS runner exception.

Comments?

MT 73 Sun Jun 04, 2017 04:33pm

Sounds right.
Awards are based on what would have happened if the obstruction had not occurred.
What we have is a triple and without the obstruction both runners would have scored.
Otherwise the runner who was on first would have to be called out for passing.

teebob21 Sun Jun 04, 2017 06:35pm

Nailed it. A runner cannot be called out for passing an obstructed preceding runner.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 04, 2017 07:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1006469)
Nailed it. A runner cannot be called out for passing an obstructed preceding runner.

I hate that interpretation :)

teebob21 Sun Jun 04, 2017 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1006475)
I hate that interpretation :)

Speaking NFHS, it's not an interp, it's a rule. 8-8-17

Can you clarify what you don't like about it? I think it's fair. If runners were called out for passing leading obstructed runners, obstruction on the lead runner would become a valid defensive tactic on any extra base hit with runners on base, and would create additional confusion for the offense.

josephrt1 Sun Jun 04, 2017 08:55pm

I assume y'all are talking FED rules because you seem convinced a runner can pass an obstructed runner without penalty. (I think that is the case in HS but i dont do HS anymore and too laze to pull out the books.) But in USA/ASA that is not the case. If a runner passes another runner, they are out, even if the preceding runner was obstructed. ASA presented a case play on this back in March 2016. The case is below. However, in this case, even though the runner was called out for passing the obstructed runner, the situation was rectified in the final ruling. Here is the case play:

Plays and Rulings: Mar 2016
Play: R1 is on 1B with two outs. B4 hits the ball to the outfield and it rolls past the outfielders to the fence. R1 rounds 2B and is obstructed by F6 and goes down to the ground unable to resume running the bases. Obstruction was called. B4 passes R1 and is thrown out at the plate for the third out. No ruling was made until the out was made at the plate.
Ruling: When R1 was obstructed the umpire would signal delayed dead ball. There are two possible rulings.
• One: If R1 is passed before the umpire can signal dead ball due to an injured player, then once B4 passed R1 time should have been called since this was now the third out. Rule 8, Section 7D Effect 2. We should then enforce the obstruction and award the bases the runner and batter-runner would have reached had there been no obstruction.
• Two: If the umpire determined R1 was injured and, in the umpire’s judgement, requires immediate attention prior to B4 passing the runner, the umpire should have called Dead Ball and awarded the injured player and all other runners the base they would have reached in their judgement. Rule 4, Section 10.

RKBUmp Sun Jun 04, 2017 09:21pm

It's simply a long way processing through the rule to end up with the runner can't actually be out for passing an obstructed runner. Yes, by rule the runner is out for passing but then you have to fix it so the runner really wasn't out after all.

MT 73 Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:31pm

It is very simple--what would have happened had obstruction not occurred?
A triple and 2 runs score.
So fix it.
Are you going to reward the defense for screwing up?

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 05, 2017 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1006477)
Speaking NFHS, it's not an interp, it's a rule. 8-8-17

Can you clarify what you don't like about it? I think it's fair. If runners were called out for passing leading obstructed runners, obstruction on the lead runner would become a valid defensive tactic on any extra base hit with runners on base, and would create additional confusion for the offense.

This was not a NFHS game. Not sure which rule set, but HS ball in Cecil's area finished a week ago.

I believe the interpretation for ASA came out around 2013.

The rule has always allowed for an award to any other runner affected by an OBS. IOW, if the runner checked up and did not pass the OBS runner, s/he would still be awarded the bases due had the OBS not taken place. However, it was done without another rule violation taking place. Using it as a strategy and then arguing about it would/should only get the coach ejected and runners still awarded the appropriate base(s). This was just as fair

When this was first raised, I saw this as an indictment of the officials that collectively could not or would not do their job.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jun 05, 2017 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1006482)
It's simply a long way processing through the rule to end up with the runner can't actually be out for passing an obstructed runner. Yes, by rule the runner is out for passing but then you have to fix it so the runner really wasn't out after all.

But what if the OBS has run out of protection when passed?

RKBUmp Mon Jun 05, 2017 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1006500)
But what if the OBS has run out of protection when passed?

Then they arent an obstructed runner any more.

CecilOne Mon Jun 05, 2017 09:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1006499)
This was not a NFHS game. Not sure which rule set, but HS ball in Cecil's area finished a week ago.

However, it was done without another rule violation taking place.

USA rules.
The rule violation was not by the obstructed runner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1006499)
When this was first raised, I saw this as an indictment of the officials that collectively could not or would not do their job.

I hope you mean that generically and historically, not the OP umpires. :)

CecilOne Mon Jun 05, 2017 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by josephrt1 (Post 1006479)
• One: If R1 is passed before the umpire can signal dead ball due to an injured player, then once B4 passed R1 time should have been called since this was now the third out. Rule 8, Section 7D Effect 2. We should then enforce the obstruction and award the bases the runner and batter-runner would have reached had there been no obstruction.

Both the rule and the RS say the ball remains live on this type of out.

josephrt1 Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1006514)
Both the rule and the RS say the ball remains live on this type of out.

Except in the example given the runner passing the obstructed runner was the third out so the ball becomes dead in this specific example.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jun 06, 2017 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1006513)
USA rules.
The rule violation was not by the obstructed runner.

The first violation WAS the obstruction, the second would be the passing by a trailing runner.