The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 08, 2017, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Should be sure, but I'm not...

made 2 calls this weekend that I'm 98% sure of being correct. please let me know your thoughts.

1. Sharp grounder up 1B line, booted by F3 just short of 1B into foul ground. F3 scoops it up & trots across the bags, touching only the orange bag, well before BR arrives. I call "off the bag, safe".

2. F2 fires to F3 for a pickoff attempt, ball ricochets off the bag into DBT. I award 3B to the runner.

Am I batting Zero? .500? 1000?
Old Mon May 08, 2017, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Defense is allowed to use the orange bag if the play takes them into foul territory. When F3 booted the ball into foul territory, requiring her to come back across the basepath to reach the white base creates a situation where it would make the fielder and the batter/runner cross paths. If F3 tagged the orange bag before the batter /runner reached the base it should have been an out call.

Balls thrown out of play are 2 bases from runners position at time of throw. Runner was between 1st and 2nd, that would make the award 3rd.
Old Mon May 08, 2017, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

What RKUmp said.
Also keep in mind that once the runner acquires first base it, for all intent and purposes, becomes one base.
In other words once a runner is on first any subsequent play or return by the runner either the white or orange base can be used.-- at least in USA rule set.
#2 you were correct.
Just remember it is 2 bases from TOT and not 1+1.

Last edited by MT 73; Mon May 08, 2017 at 09:19am.
Old Mon May 08, 2017, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Yep, aware of that point... seems like the only time defense cannot use the orange is by setting up on it while catching an on-target throw.
Old Mon May 08, 2017, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Yep, aware of that point... seems like the only time defense cannot use the orange is by setting up on it while catching an on-target throw.
Or if she had fielded it cleanly and simply stepped on just the orange base, have seen that a few times. There are a whole list of exceptions on the use of the orange base, errant throw, ball in foul territory etc the defense can use the orange base.
Old Mon May 08, 2017, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Defense is allowed to use the orange bag if the play takes them into foul territory. When F3 booted the ball into foul territory, requiring her to come back across the basepath to reach the white base creates a situation where it would make the fielder and the batter/runner cross paths. If F3 tagged the orange bag before the batter /runner reached the base it should have been an out call.

Balls thrown out of play are 2 bases from runners position at time of throw. Runner was between 1st and 2nd, that would make the award 3rd.
Agreed....I had pretty much the same play as your #1 a few years ago and called the same way you did...then looked it up and realized I was incorrect.
I'll never blow that one again.....