The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 30, 2017, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
From my perspective, you haven't given enough information. So far as I know, every state that uses NFHS rulebook also states standards for umpire uniforms; powder and/or navy shirt, navy and/or gray pants (I know TN allows charcoal, not just heather), white and/or navy undershirts, and so on. Before I could state how it would be viewed here, I would need to know if it violated JUST your association's requirements, or also the state agency's requirements.
Steve, fair enough. Here is a link to our website, particularly the page that notes our uniform requirements: NHSUA Uniform Code Equipment

Our association supports the NHIAA as do the officials for baseball, football, basketball, volleyball, etc. Many officials do multiple sports. So some things are state adopted rules, such as our run rule, and the allowing for the use of the double-base. I believe one of the things that was approved for our softball umpires is that although the NFHS Umpire's Manual calls for white T-shirts, we have a state adopted allowance for the Navy blue T-shirt (if worn). And it's not the umpire's choice. If you wear a white T-shirt during an evaluation game, you'll be dinged for it.

The only other options include a Navy blue sweater or a Navy blue pull-over polo. And, of course, umpires must match. The Navy polo is not allowed for tournament play.

The cream-colored shirts and red T-shirt were pre-game time decisions made by those officials. The Navy blue ball bag could have been a simple oversight or more of the "doin' our own thing" attitude, don't know.

Hope that helps.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2017, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Here our state USA softball management team works closely with the state HS activities association to train and provide umpires for HS games. The state does not issue any type of uniform logo or patch. Because basically every high school umpire is also a USA Softball umpire the "powers that be" have given us permission to use USA Softball apparel at HS games.

Part of the rational is that our HS season is short in Alaska, and this allows us to avoid having to buy both USA logo items and no logo items.

In our state in fast pitch the default is the dark blue shirt with grey slacks but we can use the navy blue shirts and dark blue pants so long as crew matches. We also will use the ASA/USA red shirts that honor Veterans on Friday night games at the crew's discretion.

We do play by NFHS rules during HS season so technically we are ignoring 10-4-2. You can feel free to issue us a Team Warning.
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen plenty of umpires officiating games with not quite the "proper" uniform. Usually it is for understandable reasons (e.g. left something at home, etc.).

But for partners to coordinate the use of obviously unapproved shirts when they (presumably) had the proper shirts tells me we are not getting the whole story here.

I have to believe there was more going on. Something led up to this. You don't get open rebellion out of the blue (so to speak).
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Here in NY, each local group has the option for navy/heather grey - so our group opted for the grey. Plain powder blue shirts, navy blue caps, white t shirts.