View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 30, 2017, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
From my perspective, you haven't given enough information. So far as I know, every state that uses NFHS rulebook also states standards for umpire uniforms; powder and/or navy shirt, navy and/or gray pants (I know TN allows charcoal, not just heather), white and/or navy undershirts, and so on. Before I could state how it would be viewed here, I would need to know if it violated JUST your association's requirements, or also the state agency's requirements.
Steve, fair enough. Here is a link to our website, particularly the page that notes our uniform requirements: NHSUA Uniform Code Equipment

Our association supports the NHIAA as do the officials for baseball, football, basketball, volleyball, etc. Many officials do multiple sports. So some things are state adopted rules, such as our run rule, and the allowing for the use of the double-base. I believe one of the things that was approved for our softball umpires is that although the NFHS Umpire's Manual calls for white T-shirts, we have a state adopted allowance for the Navy blue T-shirt (if worn). And it's not the umpire's choice. If you wear a white T-shirt during an evaluation game, you'll be dinged for it.

The only other options include a Navy blue sweater or a Navy blue pull-over polo. And, of course, umpires must match. The Navy polo is not allowed for tournament play.

The cream-colored shirts and red T-shirt were pre-game time decisions made by those officials. The Navy blue ball bag could have been a simple oversight or more of the "doin' our own thing" attitude, don't know.

Hope that helps.