The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS Equipment Inspections (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102494-nfhs-equipment-inspections.html)

CecilOne Wed Mar 29, 2017 05:31pm

NFHS Equipment Inspections

Please comment regarding NFHS only:

Rule 3 Section 2 Art 15 states: "ALL EQUIPMENT SHALL BE INSPECTED BY THE UMPIRE, AND IS TO BE PLACED OUTSIDE THE DUGOUT/BENCH PRIOR TO THE START OF THE GAME."

​This mean ALL bats and helmets. Many of the girls have more than one bat. Some may leave them in their equipment bag in plain sight in their bench/dugout area. They must place them outside the dugout to be inspected or they will be removed from the dugout and placed where they cannot be accessed during the game. Do NOT let them tell you, "Oh, I'm not using that bat." Do not let them keep them in the dugout.

​It's simple: if their bat is a legal bat, then there should be no issue with them placing them outside the dugout even if they don't plan on using it that particular game. If they are illegal, then the umpire must remove the bat and have it secured so it can't be accessed during the game. It can be returned to them following the conclusion of the game.

​If they don't comply with your first request, it's a team warning. If they don't comply on your 2nd request, then the head coach will be restricted to the dugout - and yes - that means he/she will be restricted before the game has even started. (of course, allow the coach to attend the plate meeting!)

Umpire@1 Wed Mar 29, 2017 08:56pm

That is pretty well the way I understand it. Have work 5 games so far, and it has not been an issue.

Insane Blue Wed Mar 29, 2017 09:06pm

Here in my area we have an Email chain going that tells all of our members what bats and equipment was removed for non-Compliance with NFHS rules.

I'm sure you will believe the coach that say's his players bat has never been removed by any other umpire :eek: right. LOL

When the coach is informed that the bat was removed from game such and such they are like :confused: :( :mad: an we tell them it will be removed from every game.

3afan Thu Mar 30, 2017 06:49am

I'm going to check the bats that were put out, then ask the coaches at the pregame if players are properly equipped. Thats it.

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 30, 2017 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 1003865)
I'm going to check the bats that were put out, then ask the coaches at the pregame if players are properly equipped. Thats it.

Way to avoid doing your job. Good luck not getting caught.

BretMan Thu Mar 30, 2017 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 1003874)

It's my job to inspect the equipment. It's the coach's job to make sure it's all placed outside the dugout.

But that aside, what method do you suggest to insure that there are no hidden bats somewhere in the dugout?

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:15am

What's your method for complying with our instructions to "remove them from the dugout" if they don't put them out for us?

I admit that if someone's actively hiding something, I'm unlikely to see it ... but if it's in the dugout, it needs to be brought out for inspection.

jwwashburn Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:50pm

It is a remarkably stupid requirement for us to "Inspect" the equipment. I think it places undue liability on the umpires. How are we qualified? I can look at a bat list, but I am not going to memorize it.

I do what I am supposed to do-everything outside, etc.

However, I am of the opinion that this should be 100% on the coaches.

youngump Thu Mar 30, 2017 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1003821)
Please comment regarding NFHS only:

Rule 3 Section 2 Art 15 states: "ALL EQUIPMENT SHALL BE INSPECTED BY THE UMPIRE, AND IS TO BE PLACED OUTSIDE THE DUGOUT/BENCH PRIOR TO THE START OF THE GAME."

​This mean ALL bats and helmets. Many of the girls have more than one bat. Some may leave them in their equipment bag in plain sight in their bench/dugout area. They must place them outside the dugout to be inspected or they will be removed from the dugout and placed where they cannot be accessed during the game. Do NOT let them tell you, "Oh, I'm not using that bat." Do not let them keep them in the dugout.

Even if the equipment is illegal (and not just uninspected), by what rule are you going to confiscate it and secure it for the duration of the contest.

Quote:

​If they don't comply with your first request, it's a team warning. If they don't comply on your 2nd request, then the head coach will be restricted to the dugout - and yes - that means he/she will be restricted before the game has even started. (of course, allow the coach to attend the plate meeting!)
I'm skeptical about this too. By rule, the only way you have this option available to you is that you've ruled this either failure to remove illegal equipment (which I thought meant take it out of the game not dugout) or to rule this minor unsporting conduct. I don't think it's unsporting conduct but if it is it seems serious enough that telling him to go sit by the illegal equipment seems off.

Finally, I don't see how he can attend the plate meeting, you restricted him to the dugout. :D

3afan Thu Mar 30, 2017 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 1003874)

"getting caught"? teams are REQUIRED to put equip outside the dugout ... we inspect it with the assumption that what they are planning on using is there to be inspected ... we ask the coaches if teams are properly equipped ... job done.

3afan Thu Mar 30, 2017 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 1003886)
It is a remarkably stupid requirement for us to "Inspect" the equipment. I think it places undue liability on the umpires. How are we qualified? I can look at a bat list, but I am not going to memorize it.

I do what I am supposed to do-everything outside, etc.

However, I am of the opinion that this should be 100% on the coaches.

well said ...

CecilOne Thu Mar 30, 2017 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 1003887)
Even if the equipment is illegal (and not just uninspected), by what rule are you going to confiscate it and secure it for the duration of the contest.

I'm skeptical about this too. By rule, the only way you have this option available to you is that you've ruled this either failure to remove illegal equipment (which I thought meant take it out of the game not dugout) or to rule this minor unsporting conduct. I don't think it's unsporting conduct but if it is it seems serious enough that telling him to go sit by the illegal equipment seems off.

Finally, I don't see how he can attend the plate meeting, you restricted him to the dugout. :D

Not my rules, something I read. Someone might be applying college rules to high school.

dlsumpntx Thu Mar 30, 2017 04:35pm

Wait, so this (removing bats from the dugout for NFHS) is an assumption based on "something you read"?

youngump Thu Mar 30, 2017 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlsumpntx (Post 1003894)
Wait, so this (removing bats from the dugout for NFHS) is an assumption based on "something you read"?

I believe that Cecil was posting what he read to get our take on whether it was right. In my opinion, it isn't a very justifiable interpretation. (And I agree this is NCAA thinking leaking in).

IRISHMAFIA Thu Mar 30, 2017 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 1003880)
What's your method for complying with our instructions to "remove them from the dugout" if they don't put them out for us?

I admit that if someone's actively hiding something, I'm unlikely to see it ... but if it's in the dugout, it needs to be brought out for inspection.

I'm pretty sure the idea was to keep the umpire out of the dugout and equipment bags.

umpjim Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1003912)
I'm pretty sure the idea was to keep the umpire out of the dugout and equipment bags.

As a bemused baseball umpire, with no responsibility to inspect anything, why, based upon the rule wording, do you have to wait untill everything is put outside before you inspect? Maybe a caseplay makes that clear but otherwise it is not.

Insane Blue Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 1003914)
As a bemused baseball umpire, with no responsibility to inspect anything, why, based upon the rule wording, do you have to wait untill everything is put outside before you inspect? Maybe a caseplay makes that clear but otherwise it is not.

Basically they do not want male umpires inside the dugout with female players.

umpjim Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 1003915)
Basically they do not want male umpires inside the dugout with female players.

Why don't they say that? Why should female umpires have to wait for the equipment to be put outside?

Umpire@1 Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 1003865)

Hope that works out for you. In my area, you wouldn't be assigned many games when word got out, you only do half your job.

BretMan Fri Mar 31, 2017 06:58am

If I'm checking equipment and see a bat or helmet in the dugout, I'm just going to point it out and say, "I think you forgot one".

I can't imagine anyone refusing to get the piece of equipment and set it out. On the oddball chance that they did refuse, then we can start thinking about warnings/restrictions/ejections...but I really can't picture it ever getting to that point.

CecilOne Fri Mar 31, 2017 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 1003895)
I believe that Cecil was posting what he read to get our take on whether it was right. .

Good read, sir!

CecilOne Fri Mar 31, 2017 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 1003917)
Why don't they say that? Why should female umpires have to wait for the equipment to be put outside?

Not a gender issue as much as logistics, time wasted, fraternization, perception of others, and just getting it right.

3afan Fri Mar 31, 2017 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpire@1 (Post 1003920)
Hope that works out for you. In my area, you wouldn't be assigned many games when word got out, you only do half your job.

teams are REQUIRED to put equip outside the dugout ... we inspect it with the assumption that what they are planning on using is there to be inspected ... we ask the coaches if teams are properly equipped ... job done.

Dakota Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpire@1 (Post 1003920)

Then, IMO, your area has OOOs.

From the NFHS comments on 201 rule changes:
Quote:

3-2-15 NEW - All equipment to be inspected by the umpire shall be placed outside the dugout/bench prior to the start of the game. Umpires will no longer have to enter the dugout/bench while players and coaches are warming up before the game.

Skahtboi Sat Apr 01, 2017 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 1004072)
Then, IMO, your area has OOOs.

From the NFHS comments on 201 rule changes:

I was just getting ready to post the same things. Well done. Seems you always beat me to it, even when we both take off massive amounts of time from the forum! :D

CecilOne Sat Apr 01, 2017 05:41pm

Well, at least I woke up the two of you. :D

That rule wording does say "to be inspected" as if there is a choice about which equipment. And 10-2-3 just say "Inspect equipment" w/o specifics.
Does that imply selectivity by the teams? I didn't find any interp or clarification.

Dakota Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 1004084)
I was just getting ready to post the same things. Well done. Seems you always beat me to it, even when we both take off massive amounts of time from the forum! :D

Ha ha... Cecil woke me up in the nick of time! :D

Manny A Tue Apr 11, 2017 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1004089)
That rule wording does say "to be inspected" as if there is a choice about which equipment. And 10-2-3 just say "Inspect equipment" w/o specifics.
Does that imply selectivity by the teams? I didn't find any interp or clarification.

Sorry I'm late for this party, but it seems pretty clear in 10-2-3a that the minimum requirement for equipment inspections is spelled out right there, where it says "including batting and catcher's helmets, [and] bats."

I suppose one could include everything that is listed in Rule 1 of the book that is not specific to the field. That would include gloves, mitts, catcher's protective equipment, and fielder's face masks. There's also Rule 3-2-11 that says shoes are required equipment. I would never go that far, but if one wanted to, there's really nothing that precludes the inspection of all those items.

As far as the extra gear I happen to see in the dugout, which is almost always invariably bats that are sticking out of bat bags, I tell the coach those need to be put out as well. I can't recall anyone giving me grief about it. But if they do, then, yes, I would say that we are within our authority to warn and then restrict for failing to respond to my request. IMO, I can use 3-6-1, and claim that until I inspect those bats, I will consider them illegal, and that if the coach doesn't allow for them to be removed or made legal (by allowing me to inspect them), then the Penalty allows me to warn and eventually restrict to the bench. I can't imagine a coach would take it that far.

Dakota Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1004704)
...IMO, I can use 3-6-1, and claim that until I inspect those bats, I will consider them illegal, and that if the coach doesn't allow for them to be removed or made legal (by allowing me to inspect them), then the Penalty allows me to warn and eventually restrict to the bench. I can't imagine a coach would take it that far.

I can't imagine a coach would take it that far, either, but that does not mean you are not overstepping your authority.

You reference 3-6-1, well, that rule says, in part, "Team personnel shall wear or use legal and/or required equipment."

Wear or use

It does not say anything about hanging in a bag in the dugout, nor does it say that all equipment not intended to be used in the game must be kept out of sight.

BretMan Wed Apr 12, 2017 04:29am

This came up last weekend...

Doing equipment inspection and see a half dozen bats in the dugout.

Me: Coach, you need to get all of your bats out here.

Coach: We only put the bats we use out here.

Me: (Pointing to bats in dugout) If I can see it, then we have to inspect it.

Coach gets the other bats...

I'm about a dozen games into the high school season and, so far, I have heard some variation of this phrase from three or four of my partners: "We're not allowed to go into the dugouts anymore".

The rule says that the umpires aren't "required" to go into the dugouts to check equipment. Somehow that's getting translated into "dugouts verboten!". I haven't seen anything that makes a dugout off limits to us.

Manny A Wed Apr 12, 2017 08:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 1004720)
I can't imagine a coach would take it that far, either, but that does not mean you are not overstepping your authority.

You reference 3-6-1, well, that rule says, in part, "Team personnel shall wear or use legal and/or required equipment."

Wear or use

It does not say anything about hanging in a bag in the dugout, nor does it say that all equipment not intended to be used in the game must be kept out of sight.

Well, I look at it as preventive umpiring. If it's in the dugout, there's the very real possibility that a player will use it. Otherwise, why bring it into the dugout in the first place?

What do you do when you find a piece of illegal equipment? Do you allow the team to keep it in the dugout? The rule book says that equipment shall be removed. I interpret "removed" as out of the dugout so that it doesn't make its way into the game. So under that authority, I will ask that bats not intended to be used in the game should also be removed.

BlueDevilRef Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:38am

We have a lot of fields where the only way in is through a dugout, so of course the rule is not intended to keep them off limits to us. Just do what you are required and keep it moving

Manny A Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef (Post 1004738)
We have a lot of fields where the only way in is through a dugout, so of course the rule is not intended to keep them off limits to us. Just do what you are required and keep it moving

The rule change really just allows for expediency in doing the job of checking those hats and bats. Often in the past, teams would put out their equipment in all sorts of different storing configurations. These things were especially a pain in the ass because stuff would fall on the ground as we went through looking at the gear.

https://www.dugoutmanager.com/wp-con...irls-img11.png

There were also helmet bags where the helmets would fit snugly, and as you pulled helmets out, batting gloves would fall to the ground. Another pain in the ass. Then, as others alluded, it got a little crowded in that dugout to check gear while the girls were in there.

UmpireErnie Sun Apr 23, 2017 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 1004724)
I'm about a dozen games into the high school season and, so far, I have heard some variation of this phrase from three or four of my partners: "We're not allowed to go into the dugouts anymore".

The rule says that the umpires aren't "required" to go into the dugouts to check equipment. Somehow that's getting translated into "dugouts verboten!". I haven't seen anything that makes a dugout off limits to us.

This is a good example of something a coach may say that a good official simply can "fail to hear". With the equipment inspection taking place outside the team area now there is very little reason for us to be in there anyhow. Outside of sitting in an empty dugout waiting on team playing on another field or the occasional field that requires passing thru the team area to exit the field why would you need to go in there? And since you don't need to go in there why let it be a thing with a coach. That just starts the game off on edge for no reason.

UmpireErnie Sun Apr 23, 2017 03:47pm

Whoops!

Brett I just reread your your post and realize you said partners were saying we are not allowed in the team area. I thought you were talking about coaches saying we are not allowed. I don't expect coaches to know the rules, then I can be pleasantly surprised by the ones who do! :D

GoRedSox Sun Apr 23, 2017 07:17pm

{/QUOTE} If they are illegal, then the umpire must remove the bat and have it secured so it can't be accessed during the game. It can be returned to them following the conclusion of the game.

​If they don't comply with your first request, it's a team warning. If they don't comply on your 2nd request, then the head coach will be restricted to the dugout - and yes - that means he/she will be restricted before the game has even started. (of course, allow the coach to attend the plate meeting!)[/QUOTE]

Cecil, we talked about this tonight at our association meeting. Where in the rule book does it say the bat has to be removed from the dugout? Plus where does it say it is a warning? The bat hasn't been used yet.

CecilOne Mon Apr 24, 2017 09:04am

If they are illegal, then the umpire must remove the bat and have it secured so it can't be accessed during the game. It can be returned to them following the conclusion of the game.

​If they don't comply with your first request, it's a team warning. If they don't comply on your 2nd request, then the head coach will be restricted to the dugout - and yes - that means he/she will be restricted before the game has even started. (of course, allow the coach to attend the plate meeting!)[/QUOTE]
.................................................. ....................................
Cecil, we talked about this tonight at our association meeting. Where in the rule book does it say the bat has to be removed from the dugout? Plus where does it say it is a warning? The bat hasn't been used yet.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea, mainly why I posted it.

BretMan Mon Apr 24, 2017 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpireErnie (Post 1005008)
Whoops!

Brett I just reread your your post and realize you said partners were saying we are not allowed in the team area. I thought you were talking about coaches saying we are not allowed. I don't expect coaches to know the rules, then I can be pleasantly surprised by the ones who do! :D

Ahhh...now your reply makes more sense! :D

RKBUmp Sun Apr 30, 2017 06:41am

Prime example of why you insist ALL of the bats be out for inspection. 2nd round of state playoffs yesterday, inspecting equipment and I see 4 or 5 bats still in players backpacks hanging in dugout. I tell coach they have to come out for inspection, she tells me they arent being used. I tell her they either come out for inspection or they leave the dugout for duration of game. She brings them out and sure enough 2 of them are broken. One has a spiral split of the barrel and the other has 2 cracks running up from the joint in handle. I tell coach they have to be removed from dugout and as she is locking them in storage room I overhear the owner of one of the bats say something about she was still using the bat even though it was broken. How many officials before me just accepted the "we arent using those" excuse and didnt inspect them?

Umpteenth Tue May 02, 2017 08:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1005254)
...How many officials before me just accepted the "we arent using those" excuse and didnt inspect them?

Apparently, all of them.

GoRedSox Wed May 03, 2017 09:57am

According to Virginia per our Association we are not to ask for the bats to be removed form the dugout. I don't agree but that is their ruling.

"Bat Checks: EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY any bats that were not put outside the dug-out to be inspected prior to the start of the game, do NOT need to be removed from the dug-out. This was a preventive umpiring technique that isn't supported by any rule book or umpire manual."