The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New USA (ASA) Uniforms (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102049-new-usa-asa-uniforms.html)

k-blue Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:04am

New USA (ASA) Uniforms

Interested to hear what associations are doing in regards to the new USA (ASA) uniforms.

Are umpires being required to have the new uniform for this season?

Is your association allowing a grace period where you can wear either uniform and has a mandatory date in the future that you must have the new one?

We are trying to decide what to do here and just wanted to get some feedback on what others are doing.

Thanks
Mark

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-blue (Post 996412)
Interested to hear what associations are doing in regards to the new USA (ASA) uniforms.

Is your association allowing a grace period where you can wear either uniform and has a mandatory date in the future that you must have the new one?

We are trying to decide what to do here and just wanted to get some feedback on what others are doing.

Thanks
Mark

Locally, as long as all the umpires on the field are wearing the same thing, I wouldn't care which uniform it was and don't know why the local association would care unless they are making money off your purchase of new uniforms. I know guys still wearing the Elbeco shirts with an ASA shoulder patch.

CecilOne Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:02am

further reading:

https://forum.officiating.com/softba...-uniforms.html

Andy Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by k-blue (Post 996412)

Thanks
Mark

Our commissioner has decided that since we are rebranding as USA Softball, he doesn't want to see the ASA logo on the field. Umpires may wear the new USA Softball logos or plain (no logo) uniforms.

Big Slick Thu Jan 05, 2017 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 996443)
Our commissioner has decided that since we are rebranding as USA Softball, he doesn't want to see the ASA logo on the field. Umpires may wear the new USA Softball logos or plain (no logo) uniforms.

That's an interesting decision. It seems to remove all presence of "ASA" for the USA brand. And then for an option of plain; does that mean you can have a "plain" field and a USA field in the same tournament?

To the best of my knowledge, PA will have the option of the ASA uniforms until 2020, with the option of an ASA field and USA field in the same complex. But don't quote me on that (our meetings are coming up).

Big Slick Thu Jan 05, 2017 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 996431)
I know guys still wearing the Elbeco shirts with an ASA shoulder patch.

Now I know why it is "slower" Delaware.

And why? Being that those shirts were last made in 2000, how does a shirt hold up with wear and tear for 16 years? I have a GD knit that I bought in 2000 that has sun faded within 10, and a) a much better material than the Elbeco and b) I only wore it for less than 15 games a year between March and May.

As for a) above, don't sell me on how much better those shirts were made or how much better the older generation take care of their gear. Seriously, those shirts cannot look good by any means. As the internet now says: "pics or I don't believe it."

k-blue Thu Jan 05, 2017 07:25pm

Thanks for the feedback. Based on the link that CecilOne posted, it provided a link to USA's website that had an article on their rebranding.

The article had the following "New, USA Softball umpire branded gear will begin to be phased in beginning in the 2017 season and will become the standard
uniform for USA Softball umpires starting in 2019."

I think this will help guide us in our decision.

Mark

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 996458)
Now I know why it is "slower" Delaware.

And why? Being that those shirts were last made in 2000, how does a shirt hold up with wear and tear for 16 years? I have a GD knit that I bought in 2000 that has sun faded within 10, and a) a much better material than the Elbeco and b) I only wore it for less than 15 games a year between March and May.

As for a) above, don't sell me on how much better those shirts were made or how much better the older generation take care of their gear. Seriously, those shirts cannot look good by any means. As the internet now says: "pics or I don't believe it."

Being old has nothing to do with taking care of one's uniform. It is more pride than anything else. Toward the end of their use, the Elbeco was a pretty solid shirt, but not as easy to maintain and definitely not a good shirt for the lazy individual. The pullovers do not breath like the Elbeco, but they also don't fall out of the umpire's pants, don't show the sweat as much and definitely dries quicker.

BTW, the part of Delaware that is referred to as "slower" are the counties below the C&D Canal (or "ditch" as we call it).

Big Slick Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 996543)
Being old has nothing to do with taking care of one's uniform. It is more pride than anything else. Toward the end of their use, the Elbeco was a pretty solid shirt, but not as easy to maintain and definitely not a good shirt for the lazy individual. The original, first generation, pullovers do not breath like the Elbeco, but they also don't fall out of the umpire's pants, don't show the sweat as much and definitely dries quicker.

Fixed it for you. The last ASA shirt (and I'm assuming) the new USAS shirt breathes very well. Also, the pullovers are a bit more accommodating to the, ahem, midsection. While I didn't mind it at the time, those days are well in the past.

Dakota Fri Jan 06, 2017 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 996458)
...As the internet now says: "pics or I don't believe it."

You want Mike to send you a picture of his closet or do you need one of Mike actually on the field? :D

Big Slick Fri Jan 06, 2017 04:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 996570)
You want Mike to send you a picture of his closet or do you need one of Mike actually on the field? :D

I want a picture of his claim of local guys wearing them. I really don't need a picture of him or his closet (although the first one is rather easy to obtain).

My buddy and I did a "throw back" night a few years ago (2011 I think), wearing Elbecos for a slow pitch game. It was well over 10 years (and many a cheesecake) since I had last wore that dreadful shirt. Being that a there was one less letter in the size and my current size . . . well, it was bad. As my buddy said: "it would have better served you to button the top button and wear it like a cape."

Now it seems I'm going to have to worry about the side panels. :eek:

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 996572)
I want a picture of his claim of local guys wearing them. I really don't need a picture of him or his closet (although the first one is rather easy to obtain).

My buddy and I did a "throw back" night a few years ago (2011 I think), wearing Elbecos for a slow pitch game. It was well over 10 years (and many a cheesecake) since I had last wore that dreadful shirt. Being that a there was one less letter in the size and my current size . . . well, it was bad. As my buddy said: "it would have better served you to button the top button and wear it like a cape."

Now it seems I'm going to have to worry about the side panels. :eek:

Where did I state the umpires were local to me?

derwil Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:30pm

Alabama is allowing us to wear the "ASA" shirts/hats/ballbags till 2019. I stocked up end of last year. Will need to get USA stuff when we go to Nats.

Insane Blue Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 996656)
Alabama is allowing us to wear the "ASA" shirts/hats/ballbags till 2019. I stocked up end of last year. Will need to get USA stuff when we go to Nats.

I did the Same thing here in So-Cal.

I might buy 1 complete USA uniform if I do a National before 2020

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jan 10, 2017 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 996699)
I did the Same thing here in So-Cal.

I might buy 1 complete USA uniform if I do a National before 2020

If you can complete a national with just one uniform, you must be calling from the press box. :)

Insane Blue Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 996831)
If you can complete a national with just one uniform, you must be calling from the press box. :)

No I would buy 1 USA uniform just so that I had one.

I will wear my current set of 5 ASA shirts and 4 hats until they are worn out. 2 Shirts and all hats are brand new.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Jan 11, 2017 07:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 997001)
No I would buy 1 USA uniform just so that I had one.

I will wear my current set of 5 ASA shirts and 4 hats until they are worn out. 2 Shirts and all hats are brand new.

Okay. Read it as you would be one uniform IF you had a national before 2020.

Being the pessimist that I am, what I envision is umpires showing up in 2017/2018 with nothing but ASA logo and others with only an USA logo. Or a UIC who prescribes one specific uniform and an umpire knows what s/he wears locally must be the official uniform and shows up without that which is needed. You would think that there wouldn't be issues like this at nationals, but it happens. For a group that that has a job which includes providing rules and directions, some umpires are not very good at following direction themselves. :)

Umpire@1 Mon Jan 16, 2017 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 997007)
Okay. Read it as you would be one uniform IF you had a national before 2020.

Being the pessimist that I am, what I envision is umpires showing up in 2017/2018 with nothing by ASA logo and others with only an USA logo. Or a UIC who prescribes one specific uniform and an umpire knows what s/he wears locally must be the official uniform and shows up without that which is needed. You would think that there wouldn't be issues like this at nationals, but it happens. For a group that that has a job which includes providing rules and directions, some umpires are not very good at following direction themselves. :)

I agree with that 110%