The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

#1 - The Hammer. The ASA hammer has been a raised arm with hand open, then pull down to 90 deg position with hand closed. (The NFHS has been a closed fist directly to the 90 deg position.) At the MASA State Clinic last spring we were shown a new hammer - a closed fist slightly behind the ear and pushed into the 90 deg position. When pointed out that was not the technique shown in the 2003 rule book, the instructor stated that the change was made after the book went to print.

So - has ASA changed the hammer? And is that what we should expect to see in the 2004 book?

#2 - 2 man crew: PU mechanic with runner on 1b only, batter hits ball. PU goes up 1B line appx 20', then fades diagonally across diamond to take lead runner to 3B.

Suppose batter bunts; F1 fields ball, has no chance at 2B, then throws ball in dirt at 1B. PU is cutting across diamond, throw to 3B is nearly parallel to BU and coming from behind. This seems like a violation of the Inside-Out theory - you only have three elements (runner, defender, and base) in front of you; ball is behind. I understand when you don't want to be in foul territory at a play at 3B, but this seems like a very bad position to make a call. Or is it the best you can do? The lesser of two evils?

WMB

[Edited by WestMichBlue on Sep 25th, 2003 at 12:02 AM]
Old Wed Sep 24, 2003, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Just my .02 worth

#1 This is also what I have heard. The closed fist 90% is what is being taught in advance schooling. Dont know if they will change it in the book

#2 What you have described is the way I have always done it and I believe is the correct way in the book now. Ball being thrown from 1st to 3rd is coming in at 90% while you are coming in at a 45% and I believe there something said like once in your stuck inside until play is over

JMOs'

Don
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

I can't tell you what the books currently say, I can only tell you what I do:

#1: When doing softball, I use the ASA hand-opend, pull down hand closed mechanic you mentioned, on my strikes and outs. When doing baseball I point on the strikes and "pull the train whistle" on the outs. That is what I was taught was the slightly behind the ear mechanic you mentioned. In both sports, my "third strike looking" mechanic might be descibed as similiar to my attempts at salsa dancing... that is it ain't real smooth or pretty, but everyone knows I'm trying.

#2: I stay near the right handed batter's box watching for lane violations. I'm ready to sprint toward third with a bad throw at first. If the batter bunts or if the runner is stealing, I will be cheating towards third because there might be a play there even with a good throw.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

#1 - I've been using the "new" hammer for a year.

#2 - The preferred mechanic - at least for college ball - is to be on the 1B line extended, but not real extended. The priority call is on the pulled foot. Then bust on down to your position for a call at 3B once you're satisfied that there is no pulled foot or tag play you might need to help on.

Steve M
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
#1 - The Hammer. The ASA hammer has been a raised arm with hand open, then pull down to 90 deg position with hand closed. (The NFHS has been a closed fist directly to the 90 deg position.) At the MASA State Clinic last spring we were shown a new hammer - a closed fist slightly behind the ear and pushed into the 90 deg position. When pointed out that was not the technique shown in the 2003 rule book, the instructor stated that the change was made after the book went to print.

So - has ASA changed the hammer? And is that what we should expect to see in the 2004 book?
I don't think the book will change because the mechanic described is the best method available to teach new umpires. It's great to go directly to the hammer, but you need to know where to end up before you can get there. I've seen newcomers try to learn this without the benefit of the prescribed mechanic and more than half have no idea where their arm and fist are supposed to end up. This means their signals are not crisp and often look sloppy.

So, I teach the "old" method to get them accustomed to the hammer. Only after that has been mastered should they take the shortcut which is now permissible in ASA.

Quote:

#2 - 2 man crew: PU mechanic with runner on 1b only, batter hits ball. PU goes up 1B line appx 20', then fades diagonally across diamond to take lead runner to 3B.

Suppose batter bunts; F1 fields ball, has no chance at 2B, then throws ball in dirt at 1B. PU is cutting across diamond, throw to 3B is nearly parallel to BU and coming from behind. This seems like a violation of the Inside-Out theory - you only have three elements (runner, defender, and base) in front of you; ball is behind. I understand when you don't want to be in foul territory at a play at 3B, but this seems like a very bad position to make a call. Or is it the best you can do? The lesser of two evils?
I don't see how the BU could possibly be involved in this play. Coming inside is fine, but the BU's priority here is staying out of the runner's base path and out of a potential throwing lane to either base. If s/he doesn't get inside, it is no big deal as he can shadow the BR-R and just as easily be in position to make a call at 2B or 1B from that position.

As for the PU, there is no need to be right on the line (and probably not going to get very far up the line), especially if F1 is the defender fielding the bunt. A throw to 3B will most likely come from beyond 1B which mean as long as you don't run to the middle of the field, you are out of the way. If getting in the path of the ball still worries you, I suggest the you take a direct path to approx. halfway point of the 3B-to-HP base line and adjust your position by stepping inside as necessary to see the play. This way, if there is an overthrow, you are now inside, out of the runner's base path and in perfect position to take the runner to the plate with the ball on the outside.

Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Typo, Mike. S/B the ball is nearlly parallel to the PU.

Following the ASA mechanics to the letter says that BU is 1/3 (20') towards 1B. At the MASA Clinic, the instructor insisted that we get right on, even straddle, the foul line. (I prefer to come out behind the batter and move parallel to the foul line.)

"If getting in the path of the ball still worries you"

That is not the issue. Because the ball is coming from behind the PU, he has to let go of the runner/defender/bag view to turn back to pick up the path of the ball.

"I suggest the you take a direct path to approx. halfway point of the 3B-to-HP base line and adjust your position"

That makes a lot of sense. The combination of staying inside the 1B line and not going down so far, then going to the mid-point of the 3B line means a short trip to get into position to make the call. It also changes significantly the angle of the throw with respect to the PU's view.

I am working on our local association's winter training clinics (NFHS) and I have a few issues that I am not confident in teaching. So I will probably come back with some more as they come up. Thanks.

WMB

Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bluejay Send a message via Yahoo to bluejay
The twenty feet (1/3) is a guide line and unless you are really fast you won't get that far when you see the ball going to 3b. If it is behind you, it won't be back there long since it will quickly get ahead on its way to 3b. Slower umpires, like myself, cant get 1/3 to 1b. It may be only ten feet when you see you have to bust toward third. Priority is to watch for the pulled foot and then get to third if the runner is advancing there. You will never be in a throwing lane and, actually, the ball will never be behind you since you are watching for the pulled foot.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2003, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
Typo, Mike. S/B the ball is nearlly parallel to the PU.

Following the ASA mechanics to the letter says that BU is 1/3 (20') towards 1B. At the MASA Clinic, the instructor insisted that we get right on, even straddle, the foul line. (I prefer to come out behind the batter and move parallel to the foul line.)
WMB, I was referring to the play offered with a bunt fielded by F1. Unless the bunt is 20' up the 1B line, you are not going 20' down the line.

I also disagree with your MASA instructor. While the "pulled foot" is what you will most likely see, you are also looking the possibility of a swipe tag, possible interference, etc. If you straddle the foul line, you may be restricting yourself to a one-dimensional view. I can tell you the the guide included in the UIC Manual keeps the umpire inside the foul line. I would suggest by 3' to 6'.

Remember, most positioning mechanics are guidelines to set you up for the most advantageous view of the play. It is up to the umpire to know how to adjust to accommodate the unusual.

Old Fri Sep 26, 2003, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Along with moving toward a 1/2 way or 2/3 home to 3rd poiny; there is a lot less problem with view if you don't turn away from the ball when moving toward 3rd. Haven't we always turned with the ball taking us into the play and then get the other components. There is no guarantee the fielder will throw to 3rd even if it is the obvious play, so watching the ball is my priority.