The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 29, 2016, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Umpire as weatherman

i am sure I am not the only one here who has worked long enough to be an expert on our local area's weather - knowing how to read the clouds, etc. Last night was a perfect example of this, and a perfect example of how to handle storm delays.

I was at a 35+ league with a rookie partner. It was an 8 PM game, and it had been cloudy and muggy all day, with severe t-storms forecast for 9 pm or so. I took the plate, explaining to my partner how the lightning rule works for ASA as opposed to high school, and since HP at the field sort of faces west, I wanted to
have the full view of the potential storm coming. To add to the mix, the guy who runs the league was there - he's ALWAYS there - and when we get to field, he's already working on us about the game; "Lou, you got to get this game in, my schedule's very tight..blah, blah, blah." I've dealt with guy for several years now, both as an umpire and as assignor, and all he does is whine...surprise!

So we start the game. The first inning or so is uneventful, both game and weather wise, although you can the real dark clouds moving in. Then in the 2nd, it starts lightly raining - no problem there, it's been very dry lately around here and the yellow grass and the dirt are absorbing it like a sponge. Then the rain gets a little harder, still no problem. Then...in the 4th (its ALWAYS the 4th) it happens - I see lightning in the sky, and its not TOO far away. So I pull them off , reminding that we have to wait 20 minutes from each lightning event, resetting the clock each time. Well Brad (the league guy) starts with the "It's passing through fast.....I got to get this game in..." - everything. This field has a covered grandstand on the LF side (its really a football field), so one of the teams is there with me and my partner, and we start talking about the Yankee game from the night before where they waited and finished the game at 3 am. The lightning gets more frequent, and I'm looking for that one event that'll allow me to definitively end this thing - and then it happens: BOOM! BOOM! - right above our heads. I just say, thats it, walk out on the field make the 'safe' sign for the other tram, and as if I pulled a string - it starts POURING. As me and my partner and jogging back to our cars, I yell to him, "THAT'S why we make the big money!"

There is something oddly satisfying about pulling off your gear in your front seat, soaked to the gills, knowing that Brad couldn't say a WORD about me calling the game too soon, and feeling somewhat powerful knowing the storm somehow waited for ME to really break open.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2016, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

While not as dramatic as yours, I too have done the magic blue rain dance.

Muggy June evening in Nebraska. Heat lightning off in the distance, rain clouds blowing to the east, but nothing threatening. As the sun goes down and the lights come up on the field, dark clouds start coming from the south, blowing to the west. Clouds moving opposite directions usually mean trouble, but I wait as there is no rain or lightning yet. We keep playing.

3rd or 4th inning, a coach swaps pitchers and while I take the subs, he asks me if I think it's going to rain. I tell him, "It could get bad at anytime." and point above to the swirling clouds. Before I say anything else: CRACK-BOOM!!! and the water comes down in curtains. Game over.
Old Sat Jul 09, 2016, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Reminds me of a time down here when I first moved to SW FL. I had a high school game over by Lake O. It was raining in Fort Myers, and I contacted the school to see if we were going to be able to play. They said it looked good, so my partner picked me up and off we went. Rained all the way over. I swear the storm was following us. After the 90 mile drive in the rain, we were pulling into the town where the game was scheduled and his cell phone rang. It was the school informing us the game is cancelled. Swell. Drove back home in the rain too. To make matters worse, we did not even get travel pay for it. That kind is situation was fixed later.
Old Sun Jul 10, 2016, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

"Heat lightning" is, in fact, lightning. If it was present you shouldn't have been playing.
Old Sun Jul 10, 2016, 03:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
"Heat lightning" is, in fact, lightning. If it was present you shouldn't have been playing.
Oh, I know exactly what it was. At the time, it was probably 10+ miles away. There isn't any way I could have convinced anyone to stop playing at that point.

You're from the Midwest, you know the type of clouds I'm talking about. I'm a big advocate of safety, but I can't properly express that situation on a forum.
Old Sun Jul 10, 2016, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
It is lightning but in areas where we call it "heat lightning" it's lightning well over 10 miles away which lights up the sky at night. You can see stuff 50 miles away and the actual bolts are not visible, just the illumination they produce.