The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 09, 2016, 02:58pm
High Five Master

It's gettin toasty hot

Your tried and true methods to beat the heat? I use a cool towel/frog togg and it helps but I am wondering what everyone else does.

Anybody tried the Florida water or spirits of ammonia? How about any of the cooling vests I have seen on Amazon?

I have a ton of games coming up and I need all the help I can get
Old Thu Jun 09, 2016, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Your tried and true methods to beat the heat? I use a cool towel/frog togg and it helps but I am wondering what everyone else does.

Anybody tried the Florida water or spirits of ammonia? How about any of the cooling vests I have seen on Amazon?

I have a ton of games coming up and I need all the help I can get
Always relied on Spirit of Ammonia though it is becoming more and more difficult to get.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2016, 07:26pm
High Five Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Always relied on Spirit of Ammonia though it is becoming more and more difficult to get.

I called Walgreens, Walmart, mom and pop pharmacy and about any dang place I could think of. Nope. Looks like Amazon is the only option but don't have enough time to get it here before Saturday morning.
Old Thu Jun 09, 2016, 11:30pm
Archaic Power Monger

Frog Togg on the carotid between innings. Store in a cooler of ice when not in use. If you can find them, the Rite Temp pads that go under the chest protector are lifesavers. Unfortunately they aren't made anymore.

The other is start hydrated and keep it up. I like water during games. And a coconut water before and after.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2016, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

1. For my frog tog, I add a few squirts of Sea Breeze to the ice water. It is an astringent that somewhat resembles spirits of ammonia. You can get Sea Breeze at Wal-Mart in the skin care section. It is refreshing and I would swear it helps keep the ice longer in the cooler.

2. For the really hot plate games, I have a "chiller vest" made by GlacierTek at The Original Cool Vest - Body Cooling Vest Ice Vest - Glacier Tek. I have the Concealable model and I swear by it.

It looks like a bullet-proof vest and goes under the chest protector. It has four sleeves on the inside- 2 in front, 2 in back. There are four "cooling elements" that are clear plastic bags with a high-tech liquid inside.

Place the elements in your cooler ice water and in 20 minutes they become solid. They will remain at 59 degrees for 2.5h in 100 degree temp. It reduces your core by about 15-18%, respiration is down, heart rate is down, perspiration is damn near zero. You are less-fatigued afterwards.

After the game put the elements back in the cooler and they are ready again in 20 minutes.

It weighs about 4 pounds, but you don't even notice it.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2016, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

The last time I needed spirits of ammonia, I ordered it from the local CVS. It was here in three days. Currently the easiest way to get it is probably, like everything else, from Amazon. Here is the link.

Towels in ice water with the spirits of ammonia is about the only way to beat the Texas heat, I have found.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2016, 12:22pm
High Five Master

I have looked at the cool vest. I generally wear a 3x, wonder if it would fit properly.

I might try the sea breeze. Looking for a way to keep my pores open and keep sweating
Old Fri Jun 10, 2016, 02:28pm
Administrator

Years ago when I umpire AAU Boys' National Baseball Tournaments in Brevard County, Florida, there would be a five gallon drum filled with ice and water with a teaspoon or table spoon of smelling salts mixed into it with a hand towel in the water. If one felt faint from the heat just slapping that water soaked towel on one's face really woke one up, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jun 12, 2016, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
I have looked at the cool vest. I generally wear a 3x, wonder if it would fit properly.

I might try the sea breeze. Looking for a way to keep my pores open and keep sweating
give them a call
Old Thu Jun 16, 2016, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

I ordered some ASA shirts online. Those dam things could not be any hotter...they are polyester and don`t breath at all.

Wish I could find some dry-fit ones.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2016, 10:41am
High Five Master

Glad I don't do any ASA. Just utrip and the boombah shirts are pretty ok. Breathe well and nice material
Old Thu Jun 16, 2016, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyball View Post
I ordered some ASA shirts online. Those dam things could not be any hotter...they are polyester and don`t breath at all.
Did you order the regular shirts ($25) or the lightweight "tech fabric" ones ($32)?

Those originals are like wearing a plastic bag. The lightweight ones aren't too bad.