The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 21, 2016, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Another First

Tail end of the season here, and I was working a Modified game on the bases. At this site, there's a baseball field adjacent and down an embankment, which had a modified BB game.

I am out by 1B waiting for the home team take the field, when I see my partner talking to a BB ump, who then approaches me, and asks me:

"My partner was in an accident.......can I borrow your plate gear??"

Trying to hide the shock, I politely told him something to the effect of, "Oh its locked in my car.....what happens if/when we finish first...blah, blah, blah...". what I WANTED to say was, "You stupid idiot, you don't carry your plate gear with you???," and other nice things....

time for school ball to end!
Old Sat May 21, 2016, 03:20pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
Tail end of the season here, and I was working a Modified game on the bases. At this site, there's a baseball field adjacent and down an embankment, which had a modified BB game.

I am out by 1B waiting for the home team take the field, when I see my partner talking to a BB ump, who then approaches me, and asks me:

"My partner was in an accident.......can I borrow your plate gear??"

Trying to hide the shock, I politely told him something to the effect of, "Oh its locked in my car.....what happens if/when we finish first...blah, blah, blah...". what I WANTED to say was, "You stupid idiot, you don't carry your plate gear with you???," and other nice things....

time for school ball to end!

Years ago, long before Mark, Jr., started umpiring BSB and SOF and officiating BKB. Most umpires knew that I had my own business and knew that I could be counted upon to be there one hour before game time and therefore would show up about 20 minutes before game time ready to to the bases, which meant that for years I would end up working the plate for about 90% of my H.S. BSB and SOF games, .

I remember one time, having FR baseball game in Michigan and I had worked the plate the last 12 days in the row. My partner for this game was a woman who I did not know. I decided that I was going to work the bases because I wanted a badly needed break from the plate. She arrives at the game about 30 minutes before game time dressed for the bases. I explained that I really needed a break from the plate. Her repsonse was: "I do not work the plate in baseball games because I am a woman." When I heard that I wanted to explode and go off on a rant on her. But I did the professional thing: I worked the plate and then turned her in to the MichiganHSAA. I soon found out that she stopped umpiring boys' H.S. baseball after that.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat May 21, 2016, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
would show up about 20 minutes before game time ready to to the bases, which meant that for years I would end up working the plate for about 90% of my H.S. BSB and SOF games, .
I believe strongly in coordinating with partner a day or so before each game to decide positions, etc. I usually forward the Arbiter reminder as a vehicle.
Old Sat May 21, 2016, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

For our HS games (for which we utilize the Arbiter) our positions are primarily identified by our regional assignors. We do have a limited amount of games that are considered self assigned. If no one has picked that game yet, I'd have my choice of plate or bases. If someone has already selected one or the other, I could choose to pick up the remaining slot.

For those leagues that utilize a 2-ump system (slow pitch) the guys decide on who does what. With either 2 or 3 games scheduled, there is normally a rotation between base and plate.

Not having plate gear if doing the bases in an evaluation game will definitely cost you some points.
Old Sun May 22, 2016, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Years ago, long before Mark, Jr., started umpiring BSB and SOF and officiating BKB. Most umpires knew that I had my own business and knew that I could be counted upon to be there one hour before game time and therefore would show up about 20 minutes before game time ready to to the bases, which meant that for years I would end up working the plate for about 90% of my H.S. BSB and SOF games, .

I remember one time, having FR baseball game in Michigan and I had worked the plate the last 12 days in the row. My partner for this game was a woman who I did not know. I decided that I was going to work the bases because I wanted a badly needed break from the plate. She arrives at the game about 30 minutes before game time dressed for the bases. I explained that I really needed a break from the plate. Her repsonse was: "I do not work the plate in baseball games because I am a woman." When I heard that I wanted to explode and go off on a rant on her. But I did the professional thing: I worked the plate and then turned her in to the MichiganHSAA. I soon found out that she stopped umpiring boys' H.S. baseball after that.

MTD, Sr.
I just have to ask. Did you give Jr. a break yesterday and let him have the bases for one?

Also, just wondering, was this female umpire about 5-0 with short spiked hair?
Old Mon May 23, 2016, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
For our HS games (for which we utilize the Arbiter) our positions are primarily identified by our regional assignors. We do have a limited amount of games that are considered self assigned. If no one has picked that game yet, I'd have my choice of plate or bases. If someone has already selected one or the other, I could choose to pick up the remaining slot.

For those leagues that utilize a 2-ump system (slow pitch) the guys decide on who does what. With either 2 or 3 games scheduled, there is normally a rotation between base and plate.

Not having plate gear if doing the bases in an evaluation game will definitely cost you some points.
Our high school games are assigned by central office, with your position part of the assignment. For JV and Varsity, it's important because we get rated by the coaches - not so much for the Modified games. In a Modified game, if I'm assigned the plate with one of OUR newbies, Guess Who is doing the plate?
Old Mon May 23, 2016, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Theres's got to be a story somewhere where two guys "forgot" their armor.
Old Tue May 24, 2016, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Theres's got to be a story somewhere where two guys "forgot" their armor.
I normally don't do baseball, but I was asked by my assigner to do a 4-5 grade baseball game for our rec league. I have it made clear by the assigner that he wants me on the bases. I show up with this information, only to find out my partner "doesn't have" plate equipment. He is a much larger man than myself, and I am not going through the hassle of changing the size of the equipment, so I ended up doing the plate. I don't think I was home for 5 minutes before the angry / frustrated email was sent to my assigner about the situation. Turns out the guy promised to by plate equipment several times and never did. He no longer umpires for the league.