The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Courtesy Runner (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/101292-courtesy-runner.html)

Six_DanO Thu Apr 28, 2016 09:56am

Courtesy Runner

When should a illegal courtesy runner be announced by the defense, and what penalties are applied. Before next pitch? If the illegal CR has scored are there any penalties that can be applied?

IRISHMAFIA Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six_DanO (Post 986843)
When should a illegal courtesy runner be announced by the defense, and what penalties are applied. Before next pitch? If the illegal CR has scored are there any penalties that can be applied?

It shouldn't happen, umpire should catch such an attempt and not allow it

CecilOne Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Six_DanO (Post 986843)

Mike is correct, but some umpires make mistakes.
The defense should appeal asap, but the CR is not illegal until a pitch is thrown or a play made. The player is disqualified.
If the CR scored, then still DQ, but the run still counts.

JDM Wed May 11, 2016 03:39pm

So the only punishment is that the wrong CR is ejected?

josephrt1 Wed May 11, 2016 05:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 986852)
Mike is correct, but some umpires make mistakes.
The defense should appeal asap, but the CR is not illegal until a pitch is thrown or a play made. The player is disqualified.
If the CR scored, then still DQ, but the run still counts.

I agree umpire should prevent this from happening, but at least in ASA, once reported, the CR is in the game, even before a pitch is thrown. Rule 8.10F reads "Once the courtesy runner is designated for that half inning, the pitcher or catcher for whom they are running may not return to run while the courtesy runner is on base. A courtesy runner cannot run for a courtesy runner." There was also a case play from a year ago.

From June 2015 ASA Umpire Website
Play: In the top of the third inning B7 the catcher gets a base hit. The coach whose team is only batting 9, reports in Thompson to be a Courtesy Runner and Thompson takes their place on 1B. The umpire puts the ball back in play and before a pitch is thrown the coach calls time and changes their mind or made a mistake and he wants to put Johnson in as the Courtesy Runner. Is this legal?
Ruling: No, this is not legal. Since Thompson was submitted to the Plate Umpire and Thompson had taken their place at 1B, Thompson is the legal Courtesy Runner. By rule you cannot have a courtesy runner run for a courtesy runner. Rule 8 Section 10F.

BretMan Thu May 12, 2016 08:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 987422)
So the only punishment is that the wrong CR is ejected?

Disqualified. Two different things covered by different rules with different outcomes.

seancca Tue May 31, 2016 11:28am

Hi I had a question in a somewhat related note to this. In my Tuesday night league the opposing team called for a courtesy runner and it was granted and the umpire let me know(I was catching). Then after the runner was on base but before the pitch was thrown to the new batter the team changed their mind and decided they didn't want a courtesy runner but to sub out the player that was at bat to save the courtesy runner. Would this be allowed by any normal ASA rules? Would the courtesy runner been essentially in the game at that point since the umpire alerted me they were using their courtesy runner for the inning and he was on base and would this not be an illegal substitution? Just trying to figure out for future games so I know if it is illegal what to protest.