Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 16, 2016, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

NFHS: ear spacers

Legal in Fed?

https://blog.itriagehealth.com/wp-co...auged-ears.jpg

Last edited by 3afan; Sat Apr 16, 2016 at 04:53am.
Old Sat Apr 16, 2016, 06:42am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post

It is jewelry. What did you think it was?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Apr 16, 2016, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

I did not think it was anything. A member of my chapter ran into this and asked the question. I found it interesting so I posted the question here.
Old Sat Apr 16, 2016, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
It is jewelry. What did you think it was?

MTD, Sr.
In most cases, the spacer is solid and it is safer for the player with the spacer in place than it is removed.
Old Sat Apr 16, 2016, 11:25pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
In most cases, the spacer is solid and it is safer for the player with the spacer in place than it is removed.

It is still jewelry. Therefore illegal.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Apr 17, 2016, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
It is still jewelry. Therefore illegal.

MTD, Sr.
When the resolution is more dangerous than the violation, a rule needs to be changed or dumped. Again, part of the problem with admin/coaches making rules with little to know working knowledge
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
When the resolution is more dangerous than the violation, a rule needs to be changed or dumped. Again, part of the problem with admin/coaches making rules with little to know working knowledge
I understand what you are saying here, but it is a little difficult to write a rule book that covers all possibilities, especially where it concerns matters that aren't related to the play of the game. Additionally, the authors of rule books are also faced with the challenge of considering potential liability impact of the rules.

I don't have a copy of the most current baseball or softball rule books, so help me out on this: Was language regarding ear spacers added to the rules this year? I don't recall seeing it in the football or basketball books, but I could have missed that as well. In any case, if ear spacers aren't specifically defined by NFHS as "jewelry" and argument could be made that it is ump to the official/umpire to make a determination if they are in fact jewelry and thus illegal. I fall in line with MTD and feel they are jewelry, but I imagine someone with more knowledge of the subject might tell me they are technically body modification devices or something like that.

Personally I'm going to err on the side of telling the player she can't play while wearing jewelry. I believe similar cases have been discussed here before with the conclusion (as applied to the specifics of this case) that this is the only way to avoid the risk of being sued if the player suffers an injury related to the ear spacers. If you allow the player to play with them in, it could be argued that you were negligent in your duties by allowing a player to play while wearing jewelry. If you tell the player she can play if she takes them out and an injury like Irish is concerned about occurs, it could be argued that you instructed the player to take them out which resulted in a subsequent injury.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

When it comes to jewelry, I always say "you DO NOT have to take it out, but you can't play with it in.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
I understand what you are saying here, but it is a little difficult to write a rule book that covers all possibilities, especially where it concerns matters that aren't related to the play of the game. Additionally, the authors of rule books are also faced with the challenge of considering potential liability impact of the rules.

I don't have a copy of the most current baseball or softball rule books, so help me out on this: Was language regarding ear spacers added to the rules this year? I don't recall seeing it in the football or basketball books, but I could have missed that as well. In any case, if ear spacers aren't specifically defined by NFHS as "jewelry" and argument could be made that it is ump to the official/umpire to make a determination if they are in fact jewelry and thus illegal. I fall in line with MTD and feel they are jewelry, but I imagine someone with more knowledge of the subject might tell me they are technically body modification devices or something like that.

Personally I'm going to err on the side of telling the player she can't play while wearing jewelry. I believe similar cases have been discussed here before with the conclusion (as applied to the specifics of this case) that this is the only way to avoid the risk of being sued if the player suffers an injury related to the ear spacers. If you allow the player to play with them in, it could be argued that you were negligent in your duties by allowing a player to play while wearing jewelry. If you tell the player she can play if she takes them out and an injury like Irish is concerned about occurs, it could be argued that you instructed the player to take them out which resulted in a subsequent injury.
All the more reason to dump the rule. They do not present a danger to any other participant.
Old Mon Apr 18, 2016, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by little jimmy View Post
when it comes to jewelry, i always say "you do not have to take it out, but you can't play with it in.
exactly !
Old Wed Apr 27, 2016, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

As a coach, all I know is I'm going to start making liberal use of the term "ear spacers", as in "Come on girls! Get your ear spacers in the game!"
Old Wed Apr 27, 2016, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

FYI, we are still waiting to get "official" word on this from our state association
Old Wed Apr 27, 2016, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
FYI, we are still waiting to get "official" word on this from our state association
Why don't you just ask Walt Sparks directly?
Old Wed Apr 27, 2016, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Why don't you just ask Walt Sparks directly?
Thats who our chapter rep did ask ....