The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Illeal Pitch

So you have the Illegal pitch while she is on the rubber. Do you call the IP and signal? Thus giving her and opportunity to step off the rubber so you can enforce the ball and advanced. Or do you enforce immediately?

My thinking by enforcing it immediately you take away one of the options of the offense to o tske the result of the play/pitch? Am I wrong in mt thinking?

THOUGHTS

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

You always call and signal the IP when it happens, it is a delayed dead ball. If it becomes obvious the pitcher is not going to deliver the ball, then yes, you stop play and award the penalty. But, you should delay for a moment to see what the pitcher is going to do before you call dead ball.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

And you should not refer to the pitcher's plate as a rubber.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:16am
Stirrer of the Pot

What rule set are you going with?

In NFHS play, rule 5-1-1p says the ball is dead immediately when there's an illegal pitch violation with no pitch thrown. In NCAA play, rule 10.8 was changed this year to include the Effect that if there's an illegal pitch but the pitch is not released, it's a dead ball. So in those two rule sets, you don't have to signal DDB and wait if, for example, the pitcher steps on the plate with her hands together.

Not sure if ASA is the same.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
What rule set are you going with?

In NFHS play, rule 5-1-1p says the ball is dead immediately when there's an illegal pitch violation with no pitch thrown. In NCAA play, rule 10.8 was changed this year to include the Effect that if there's an illegal pitch but the pitch is not released, it's a dead ball. So in those two rule sets, you don't have to signal DDB and wait if, for example, the pitcher steps on the plate with her hands together.

Not sure if ASA is the same.
If I'm reading the italicized correctly, are you saying that once the pitcher steps on to the plate with her hands together, you immediately call a dead ball and enforce the illegal pitch? I hope not, because that would be incorrect.

The interpretation of "no pitch thrown" is that the pitcher stops her motion or holds the ball when she hears the illegal pitch call or sees an umpire give the delayed dead ball signal. You always need to allow the pitcher to pitch, since the offense could have an option if the ball is put in play. The result of the play could be more advantageous to the offense if the ball is pitched.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 11:15am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
If I'm reading the italicized correctly, are you saying that once the pitcher steps on to the plate with her hands together, you immediately call a dead ball and enforce the illegal pitch? I hope not, because that would be incorrect.

The interpretation of "no pitch thrown" is that the pitcher stops her motion or holds the ball when she hears the illegal pitch call or sees an umpire give the delayed dead ball signal. You always need to allow the pitcher to pitch, since the offense could have an option if the ball is put in play. The result of the play could be more advantageous to the offense if the ball is pitched.
Do you have an authoritative interpretation that says that? I thought that the DDB and allowing play to continue happens when the pitcher commits an illegal pitch while pitching (e.g., she leaps, she slingshots, etc.)

So, you wait and wait and wait until the ball is pitched? I don't read that in NFHS rule 5.1.1p. This is under the "immediate dead ball" rule, and that doesn't sound like "immediate" to me.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
DThis is under the "immediate dead ball" rule, and that doesn't sound like "immediate" to me.
That means it is illegal immediately, not that it is Immediately DB.
The NFHS penalties and ASA effects cover that.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 12:07pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Not trying to be hard-headed, but NFHS Rule 5-1-1 starts out by saying, "Ball becomes dead immediately when..."

And then 5-1-1p says, "an illegal pitch occurs, but no pitch is delivered to the batter." So waiting God only knows how long between the illegal pitch infraction and then the moment the pitcher decides not to deliver the pitch is counter-intuitive to the rule stating it's an immediate dead ball.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not trying to be hard-headed, but NFHS Rule 5-1-1 starts out by saying, "Ball becomes dead immediately when..."

And then 5-1-1p says, "an illegal pitch occurs, but no pitch is delivered to the batter." So waiting God only knows how long between the illegal pitch infraction and then the moment the pitcher decides not to deliver the pitch is counter-intuitive to the rule stating it's an immediate dead ball.
Judgment on whether it is or will be thrown, the last $2 of your fee.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And 5-1-2 starts out by saying, "It is a delayed dead ball when ....."

And then 5-1-2a says "an illegal pitch is delivered".

So who decides if a pitch will be delivered? I would think that would be the pitcher, not the umpire. If she doesn't choose to deliver a pitch, she can do what pitchers do to stop the pitching sequence; step off. But if her hands are together and she stays on the pitching plate, I submit that we wait until she either pitches or disengages.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2016, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
So who decides if a pitch will be delivered? I would think that would be the pitcher, not the umpire. If she doesn't choose to deliver a pitch, she can do what pitchers do to stop the pitching sequence; step off. But if her hands are together and she stays on the pitching plate, I submit that we wait until she either pitches or disengages.
Within the allowed time limit?
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Within the allowed time limit?
Yes; but, considering that the only reason to allow her to continue is to allow added benefit to the offended party (offense), I wouldn't be overly quick to call the timing violation (20 seconds) or second form of illegal pitch (more than 10 seconds with hands together) on top of the initial illegal pitch to kill it. But I would wait that long if the pitcher stayed on the plate with hands together.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

2013 Case Play 6.1-3
May F1 take the pitching position with the hands already together?
RULING: No, this is illegal. F1's hands must be apart when stepping onto the pitcher's place and while taking the signal. An illegal pitch should be called as soon as the violation occurs. (6-1A)

To me, and the discussions I've had in the past with others, the violation should be called and applied immediately.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this rule as long as they separate THAN simulate taking the signal prior to bringing them back together. I've seen this called when a pitcher is simply stepping onto the PP with the hands together and immediately drop their arms to the side when looking up to take the signal. But it is what it is.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2016, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I still think so.