Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 13, 2015, 11:08pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
Rule 3-3F2 11” slow pitch starting 2017 use 52/300 ball
Rule 3-5E Delete requirement to wear chin straps in JO play
Rule 3-6 Add Coed C/D and Women’s C/D to list that only have to wear matching shirts with numbers
Rule 5-8A Delete inning ending out for a home run in E/Rec. Now it is just an out.
Rule 7-1A All JO fast pitch can now use either on deck circle.
Rule 8-9B2 All adult slow pitch except seniors can have a courtesy runner. Any eligible player on the official line-up, including available substitutes may be used as a courtesy runner. One CR only may be used per inning. Seniors will continue to use their CR rule.

Also the branding discussion. As mentioned at the earliest the new umpire uniforms will be available is 2017. That was mentioned with the understanding that the BOD has to approve the new logo by early 2016 in order for the manufactures to have time to fill the pipeline with new logo items for the 2017 season. As they did with the current new ASA logo (yes it is weird to have a discussion about two "new" logos at the same time) it will be phased in over a number of years. As mentioned 2017 is the earliest umpires can purchase the USA logo, it won't be mandatory until most likely 2020 to coincide with the hopeful return of Softball to the Olympics.

This rule change is a rule change that can be laid our our feet for not enforcing the old rule because we did not want to be seen as being an OOO!

Mark, Jr., and I umpire ASA tournaments every summer with ASA umpires from at least three different OhioASA Districts. The District Commissioner and District UIC of only one district expected its umpires and defended its umpires in enforcing the old rule.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Nov 14, 2015, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I know that here in the central district we've always been told to enforce it.
Old Sat Nov 14, 2015, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
This rule change is a rule change that can be laid our our feet for not enforcing the old rule because we did not want to be seen as being an OOO!

Mark, Jr., and I umpire ASA tournaments every summer with ASA umpires from at least three different OhioASA Districts. The District Commissioner and District UIC of only one district expected its umpires and defended its umpires in enforcing the old rule.

MTD, Sr.
I think some will be shocked at how many of the helmets will now accidently pop off during play
Old Sun Nov 15, 2015, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Regarding the chin strap rule...how did you "enforce" it?

The only requirement in the rules was that the helmet have a chin strap. There was never any further clarifications issued as to how that chin strap had to be worn, only that it be there.

I recall sitting in a meeting at ASA Council one year and KR was asked point blank about it and issuing some type of official statement as to how the chin strap was to be worn.

He flatly stated that he would not do so, because no matter what wording was used, it could not be consistently enforced due to judgement of what wearing the chin strap "properly" would mean.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2015, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

My enforcement included:
Must exist on helmet,
Must be securely attached on both sides, and
Must be worn at chin or below, not across the mask nor above the helmet brim.

I did not attempt to debate how snugly nor proximity to the chin, but did state affirmatively that the manufacturers never submitted the item to be approved across the mask nor above the brim. Never heard a coherent response to that.

Similarly, I require adult players wearing a cap to wear it brim forward. My standard explanation is to state that headwear is not a fashion statement, and that if anyone can produce a patent or manufacturer's guide describing the brim as designed to shade the back of the neck, that I would then change my position. I also challenge anyone to show me a picture of (Griffey) Junior, whom I consider the primary proponent, wearing it in that fashion WHILE PLAYING.

But that's just me.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2015, 08:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Regarding the chin strap rule...how did you "enforce" it?

The only requirement in the rules was that the helmet have a chin strap. There was never any further clarifications issued as to how that chin strap had to be worn, only that it be there.

I recall sitting in a meeting at ASA Council one year and KR was asked point blank about it and issuing some type of official statement as to how the chin strap was to be worn.

He flatly stated that he would not do so, because no matter what wording was used, it could not be consistently enforced due to judgement of what wearing the chin strap "properly" would mean.

Our ASA UIC told us that the chin strap should be not looser that two fingers beneath the chin.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Nov 15, 2015, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
My enforcement included:
Must exist on helmet,
Must be securely attached on both sides, and
Must be worn at chin or below, not across the mask nor above the helmet brim.

I did not attempt to debate how snugly nor proximity to the chin, but did state affirmatively that the manufacturers never submitted the item to be approved across the mask nor above the brim. Never heard a coherent response to that.

Similarly, I require adult players wearing a cap to wear it brim forward. My standard explanation is to state that headwear is not a fashion statement, and that if anyone can produce a patent or manufacturer's guide describing the brim as designed to shade the back of the neck, that I would then change my position. I also challenge anyone to show me a picture of (Griffey) Junior, whom I consider the primary proponent, wearing it in that fashion WHILE PLAYING.

But that's just me.
No, it wasn't just you. I agree with you positions and is the same as I noted as a UIC.

The chin strap, like every other piece of equipment and uniform, is to be worn properly which is under the chin and it wasn't at all difficult to enforce
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the link to the ASA Website with the "official" documents...

ASA Code, Playing Rule Changes
Old Thu Nov 19, 2015, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Here is the link to the ASA Website with the "official" documents...

ASA Code, Playing Rule Changes
IMO, and that is all it is, the organization is moving the SP game in a direction that seems backwards, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised as that was predicted back when they added the E/Rec class.