The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 14, 2015, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

ASA 14U Fast Pitch

With the top of the strike zone defined as the bottom of the arm pit, what is the highest strike you actually for 14U?
Old Fri Aug 14, 2015, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

While we're splitting hairs...does it say "bottom of the arm pit" or just "arm pit"?
Old Fri Aug 14, 2015, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Age is somewhat less important than the level of play. 14U rec ball will have a more liberal zone than quality 10A travel teams.

In any game with reasonable quality, I default to the NCAA definition, the entire ball below the top of the sternum. In a practical sense (albeit NOT politically correct), it seems pretty easy to visualize and set the top of the zone at the bottom of the bra, or where the bottom would be if she were wearing one.

With college coaches and showcases catering to that age already, I see no reason to call a different zone than what the higher level game demands. Pitchers need to understand that zone, batters need to establish that discipline.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2015, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

I love all the posts on the softball boards about wanting the defined strike zone called. Would love to hear them after pitches up around the chin start getting called strikes.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2015, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

14U: Middle of the bicep, for reference on a standing person. Calling at the armpit at this level results in the occasional gross miss for me, so moving down a little ensures I don't call one at the jaw by mistake.

This is the same zone I try to call for high school. I call the biggest zone I can, at every level. To Steve's point, at a level with competitive play, that tends to be a zone resembling the NCAA zone, topping out at the bottom of the sternum.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2015, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

I've found that using the rule book as written is the best policy. Rule book says armpit; use the armpit. When the rule book says sternum, I use sternum. If the player is playing 14u, she probably is still in middle school. College interpretations belong in the college game.
Old Wed Aug 19, 2015, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
I've found that using the rule book as written is the best policy. Rule book says armpit; use the armpit. When the rule book says sternum, I use sternum. If the player is playing 14u, she probably is still in middle school. College interpretations belong in the college game.
Go ahead and call that pitch at the armpit a strike in a Men's FP game and see what happens.....

The rule book is a great foundation, but using what is taught in clinics, camps, and through official interpretations is what makes a quality umpire.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2015, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

My high strike zone is under the lead elbow---assuming a normal stance.
Old Thu Aug 20, 2015, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT 73 View Post
My high strike zone is under the lead elbow---assuming a normal stance.
Rule cite ?