The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

This just caught my eye, because of the myth that sometimes pops up in our games about home plate & fair/foul.

Twins @ White Sox, last night.

Quote:
Santana's ptiching gives Twins a huge victory

BY GORDON WITTENMYER
Pioneer Press

... The Twins got another big break in the seventh after a fading Santana gave up a single to Carl Everett and walk to Joe Crede to open the inning. Jose Valentin put the runners at second and third with a sacrifice bunt, and Santana was replaced by Hawkins.

With the Twins leading 3-1 and a crowd of almost 30,000 (counting several thousand over the paid attendance figure) getting fired up by the growing scoring opportunity, pinch-hitter Brian Daubach swung and topped what looked like a foul ball near his back foot. But instead of hitting his foot, the ball hit the dirt and rolled onto the plate - a fair ball.

Pierzynski picked up the ball and tagged a stunned Daubach for the rally-killing second out. Hawkins then struck out pinch-hitter Roberto Alomar, who swung through a 95-mph fastball for strike three.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, and so is part of the batters box. Varsity HS game two nights ago, ball hit in front part of box and died. BR took off for first, and defensive coach and fans were screaming fo F2 to make the throw. I was pointing fair as hard as I could, but she picked up ball, held it, and yelled back at them, "it was in the batters box". I've seen umpires also believe all box area is foul! Go figure.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2003, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Many people who should know better think the entire box is considered foul, probably because if a batter's foot is in the fair section and a batted ball hits off that foot, it's called foul.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Many people who should know better think the entire box is considered foul, probably because if a batter's foot is in the fair section and a batted ball hits off that foot, it's called foul.
Right, that's the only time we have foul player instead of a foul ball.