The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 25, 2012, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Differences of USSF and NFHS

I am both a USSF and PIAA (Pennsylvania) referee. PIAA follows NFHS rules.

I was just watching some YouTube videos of both youth and high school matches, and was going through the cautionable and sent-off/disqualifying offenses to verify different plays.

I came up with some questions that I wanted the forum members' opinion on.

First off, in the NFHS rules, taunting is listed as a disqualifying offense (12-8-2a), however it isn't listed as a Sent-Off in the USSF LOTG book. The example NFHS uses is this:

"Player A2 is cautioned by the official and is leaving the field. Player B2 approaches A2 and applauds in player A2's face and follows A2 off the field, continuing to applaud."

The ruling is B2 is disqualified for taunting as per the "Rule 12, Section 8 - Play Rulings" on page 57 of the current NFHS Soccer Rules Book.

I don't see how taunting can be directly a red card. Sure, if you taunt a player based on his/her religion, race, etc. then disqualify the player for using insulting or offensive language/gesture. But in NFHS, they define taunting as "use of word or act to incite or degrade an opposing player, coach, referee or other individual".

No doubt, you degrade someone, Red card in my book. But if one player incites an opponent to fight (for example, says something like "go ahead, punch me, I dare you" or puts up his fists to let the opponent know "I'm ready, let's fight"), I wouldn't red card him for that, only yellow for Unsportsmanlike Conduct if a fight doesn't actually break out. If a fight were to break out between them, straight red on both of them for Violent Conduct. However, in USSF, would taunting be seen as a cautionable offense if offensive or degrading language/gesture isn't used?

Another thing I have. I know in USSF soccer, if two TEAMMATES are fighting, it's a Red Card for both of them. Does that also apply to NFHS under "exhibiting violent conduct" (12-8-2a)? I say yes, I just wanted to verify that with others because that's never been covered at any of our chapter's meetings and was thinking about that just now.

One last thing. This stirred up a long argument at our last chapter's meeting regarding NFHS. Say you and your partner have an unusual situation and can't come to an agreement with a restart, penalty, card issuing if any, etc. Would you stop the clock and go to your bag to get the Rules Book out to get it correct? Our Rules Interpreter said "you don't know, get the rules book out". What would you do in this situation? I know in USSF, if I went to my bag to get my LOTG book out, the coaches would probably report me to the league and I'd get told about it.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I am both a USSF and PIAA (Pennsylvania) referee. PIAA follows NFHS rules.

I was just watching some YouTube videos of both youth and high school matches, and was going through the cautionable and sent-off/disqualifying offenses to verify different plays.

I came up with some questions that I wanted the forum members' opinion on.

First off, in the NFHS rules, taunting is listed as a disqualifying offense (12-8-2a), however it isn't listed as a Sent-Off in the USSF LOTG book. The example NFHS uses is this:

"Player A2 is cautioned by the official and is leaving the field. Player B2 approaches A2 and applauds in player A2's face and follows A2 off the field, continuing to applaud."

The ruling is B2 is disqualified for taunting as per the "Rule 12, Section 8 - Play Rulings" on page 57 of the current NFHS Soccer Rules Book.

I don't see how taunting can be directly a red card. Sure, if you taunt a player based on his/her religion, race, etc. then disqualify the player for using insulting or offensive language/gesture. But in NFHS, they define taunting as "use of word or act to incite or degrade an opposing player, coach, referee or other individual".

No doubt, you degrade someone, Red card in my book. But if one player incites an opponent to fight (for example, says something like "go ahead, punch me, I dare you" or puts up his fists to let the opponent know "I'm ready, let's fight"), I wouldn't red card him for that, only yellow for Unsportsmanlike Conduct if a fight doesn't actually break out. If a fight were to break out between them, straight red on both of them for Violent Conduct. However, in USSF, would taunting be seen as a cautionable offense if offensive or degrading language/gesture isn't used?

Another thing I have. I know in USSF soccer, if two TEAMMATES are fighting, it's a Red Card for both of them. Does that also apply to NFHS under "exhibiting violent conduct" (12-8-2a)? I say yes, I just wanted to verify that with others because that's never been covered at any of our chapter's meetings and was thinking about that just now.

One last thing. This stirred up a long argument at our last chapter's meeting regarding NFHS. Say you and your partner have an unusual situation and can't come to an agreement with a restart, penalty, card issuing if any, etc. Would you stop the clock and go to your bag to get the Rules Book out to get it correct? Our Rules Interpreter said "you don't know, get the rules book out". What would you do in this situation? I know in USSF, if I went to my bag to get my LOTG book out, the coaches would probably report me to the league and I'd get told about it.
Taunting in NFHS is a straight red, period. It just is. In USSF, you very well may have unsporting behavior (caution). The Law of Common Sense applies, here. We do, as referees, get paid to think and use good judgment on the pitch -- in NFHS and USSF. NFHS wants taunting dealt with very severely in all sports as it can lead to fights quite easily.

Two teammates fight, two send-off/ejections. They play short two if the two teammates were "players" at the time of the fight. If they were substitutes or if the situation occurred in pre-game, the team plays with 11.

Personally, I am ALMOST NEVER going to the Rule Book during a game. HOWEVER, IF my partner is insistent, is wrong, and will NOT back down, AND the game is in doubt, we will go to the Rule Book for proof in order to get it right.

BOTTOM LINE: Know your restarts, it is not all that hard.....
Old Wed Oct 03, 2012, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Thank you. I brought up the taunting thing with another referee before a game we did last week and he told me that NFHS has taunting as an immediate send off because the field is supposed to be "an extension to the classroom" and players must exhibit sportsmanship as representing their school or whatever. I can see that being a valid reason.