The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 22, 2012, 08:57am
Broadcaster

Two person officiating

My daughter has been playing since U-6. Since U-10 when offside was first called, I have seen 3 officials at every game. This was her first season at U-13 and her final game only had two officials...neither with a flag and both looked like they were doing the same job...a combo line judge/referee in each half of the field.

My hat goes off to officials anyway and the job they do. But I was really impressed with these two having to work like that and still do as well as they did. How often do you officials do two-person? Any stories to tell from working like that?
Old Tue May 22, 2012, 01:20pm
Back from the DL

In high/middle school, two person is very frequent. Most high school games I work are two person, so I'm pretty much used to it. The NFHS has two official mechanics.

USSF is a different story. There is a modified/hybrid two-person set-up (that you probably saw) with two whistles, but generally, USSF/FIFA pushes a one-whistle system. If you must have two officials, it's preferred the other has a flag.
Old Fri May 25, 2012, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
In high/middle school, two person is very frequent. Most high school games I work are two person, so I'm pretty much used to it. The NFHS has two official mechanics.

USSF is a different story. There is a modified/hybrid two-person set-up (that you probably saw) with two whistles, but generally, USSF/FIFA pushes a one-whistle system. If you must have two officials, it's preferred the other has a flag.
NFHS (high school) recognizes the 2-person system while the USSF does NOT. It is actually prohibited to assign games that way for a USSF affiliated league or tournament.

My state does about 20% of our HS games as 2-person. The rest are 3.
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

voiceoflg, i hope it worked out fine!
i played soccer when i was younger,
faced all kinds of issues
Old Fri Jun 01, 2012, 03:15pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosley89 View Post
voiceoflg, i hope it worked out fine!
i played soccer when i was younger,
faced all kinds of issues
It did. The whole season was well officiated as far as I could tell. I grew up playing hockey, so understanding offside is easier for me in that sport than in soccer. When offside was called, whether with two or three officials, I saw more complaints from the parents than from the coaches. So I assumed it was called correctly. My daughter's coaches were very knowledgeable about the game and instructed the kids very well. A great season.