The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 26, 2010, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

WIAA (NFHS) Exam

Last edited by hoopsaddict; Wed Jan 02, 2013 at 06:24pm.
Old Tue Jul 27, 2010, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure if the change has reached soccer yet, but A was true in several sports before this year. I know B is not nationally true, although Tennessee just adopted it as a state rule.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaddict View Post
(True or False)
When wearing a cast, a medical release is required to play.

(Mulitple Choice)
17. Which of the following situations require a player to have written authorization from a
physician?
a. A player wearing a cast that is covered with closed-cell, slow-recovery foam padding
no less than 1/2-inch thick.
b. A player who is apparently unconscious and comes back to play in the next game,
which is seven days later.
c. A player who had to leave a game due to bleeding.
d. A player who was unconscious in an earlier game the same day.

In the NFHS Rule book it states:
under 4-2-1:
Illegal equipment shall not be worn by any player. This applies to any equipment which, in the opinion of the referee, is dangerous or confusing. Types of equipment which are illegal include, but are not limited to, the following:
c. hard and unyielding items (guards, casts, braces, etc.) on the hand, wrist, forearm, elbow, upper arm or shoulder unless covered, and must be padded with a closed-cell, slow-recovery foam padding no less than 1/2-inch thick

This my reasoning for the second multiple choice question and why I elected to go with D, my buddy however is saying that he thinks its A. However I cant seem to find anything in the book for both questions, in which it states that you have to have a medical release to play with a covered cast.
I don't have the new version of the NFHS Soccer Rules Book yet, but in the 2009-10 version there is a sentence in 4-2-1c which reads, "A medical release for the injured player signed by a physician (MD/DO) shall be available at the game site."

That would make your first question TRUE and (A) the answer to your second.

There is no doctor's clearance needed for blood (C), and (B) and (D) have been governed by the state associations, not the NFHS, in the past. This year the FED is getting involved in concussions, but from what I've read it is only for an incident during THAT game, not previously.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Jul 29, 2010 at 08:41pm.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Seems that some of the wording has disappeared this year.

Take a look at Patrick Duffy's response in this thread on the NFHS forum.

NFHS Forum: Concussions
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Seems that some of the wording has disappeared this year.

Take a look at Patrick Duffy's response in this thread on the NFHS forum.

NFHS Forum: Concussions
I have now received my copy of the 2010-11 NFHS Soccer Rules Book. I also have taken Part 1 of the NFHS exam and can confirm the answers.

Additionally, I can state that what Patrick Duffy wrote in the thread on the NFHS website is 100% correct.

This year the NFHS has removed the requirement of a written medical release for playing with a cast. Now the only requirement is that it is padded as specified in 4-2-1c.

Furthermore, the NFHS new rules presentation states that there is no written authorization required to return to play following being removed for exhibiting symptoms of a concussion.

Therefore, the correct answers for the 2010-11 test questions above are False and D. The NFHS answer key mistakenly lists 3-3-2b3 as the rules reference for question 17. That is where the unconscious player rule was last season. That language has been eliminated and all of this is now incorporated into 3-3-1c3, but even that doesn't explicitly state what the question asks. The closest statement is on page 107 in the Suggested Guidelines for Management of Concussion, "No athlete should return to play (RTP) on the same day of
concussion."

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Aug 02, 2010 at 11:39pm.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2010, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

From the NFHS Concussion presentation

Recognize the signs or symptoms of a possible concussion and remove the athlete from play
The responsibility of the official is limited to activities that occur on the field, court, or mat

Once the participant has been removed from a contest due to a suspected concussion, the coach or appropriate health-care professional(s) assumes full responsibility for that athlete’s further evaluation and safety

No signed document is needed nor is verification of the appropriate health-care professionals’ credentials
Old Fri Aug 06, 2010, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Recognize the signs or symptoms of a possible concussion and remove the athlete from play
The responsibility of the official is limited to activities that occur on the field, court, or mat

Once the participant has been removed from a contest due to a suspected concussion, the coach or appropriate health-care professional(s) assumes full responsibility for that athlete’s further evaluation and safety

No signed document is needed nor is verification of the appropriate health-care professionals’ credentials
Our concern about this "don't ask, don't tell" like rule is that we will still likely be a party to the lawsuit that will undoubtedly happen!!!
Old Wed Aug 11, 2010, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Our concern about this "don't ask, don't tell" like rule is that we will still likely be a party to the lawsuit that will undoubtedly happen!!!
My state did a wonderful job of protecting the game officials from that.

Here is what NV has adopted: Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association : NIAA Adopts NFHS Guidelines on Management of Concussions

I'll make a special note of these parts:

What is the role of contest officials in administering the new rule?
· Officials are to review and know the signs and symptoms of concussion and to direct immediate removal of any athlete who displays these signs or symptoms.
· Officials have no other role in dealing with this rules change.
Fundamental Reminders about this change
· It has always been the ultimate responsibility of the coaching staff, in all sports, to ensure that players are only put into practice or contests if they are physically capable of performing.
· If an athlete has been removed from play by an official who suspects a concussion has occurred and no appropriate healthcare professional is available to evaluate his/her condition, the player may not return to play that day.

Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

I just took the exam...

(True or False)
When wearing a cast, a medical release is required to play.
False: Rule 4-2 Article 1-c. hard and unyielding items (guards, casts, braces, etc.) on the hand, wrist, forearm, elbow, upper arm, or shoulder unless covered must be padded with a closed-cell, slow recovery foam padding no less than 1/2" thick. (No requirement for medical release is specified)

(Mulitple Choice)
17. Which of the following situations require a player to have written authorization from a
physician?
a. A player wearing a cast that is covered with closed-cell, slow-recovery foam padding
no less than 1/2-inch thick.
b. A player who is apparently unconscious and comes back to play in the next game,
which is seven days later.
c. A player who had to leave a game due to bleeding.
d. A player who was unconscious in an earlier game the same day.

The exam answer is d.
However... per Rule 3-3 Article 1-c-3:
any player who shows signs, symptoms or behaviors associated with a concussion must be removed from the game and shall not return to play until cleared by an appropriate health-care professional.
This means B and D are correct.
But, in the NFHS concussion management training, per the concussion action plan:
Keep the participant out of play the day of the injury AND until an appropriate health care professional says the player is symptom free and its ok to play.
So answer d. would be incorrect - keep the player out the day of the injury.
Answer b. would the "best" answer.