The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

PLease help

I am watching my daughter's regional soccer game last night. One of the girls on my daughter's team gets a breakway right in front of the goal just one foot outside the goalie box. The defender reaches out and grabs her jersey as she tries to score. The defender pulls her back to the ground. IT WAS INTENTIONAL TO STOP A POTENTIAL SHOT ON GOAL!!!!... The official did not card the defender and gave a free indirect kick. His reason - was the defender was outside the goalie box when she committed the foul, but the foul was precisely on the line of the goalie box.

In other action, an offsides is flagged by the side official on my daughter's team. The center official does not see it and the defender, who did the intentional pulling of the shirt, picks up the ball and sets it down for a free kick. Again no whistle. The center official is taken offguard and lets play continue.

I'm a basketball official, something just doesn't seem right with these two plays.... To me the intentional pulling deserved more than just a indirect free kick. (BY THE WAY THE DEFENDER'S COACH ADMITTED THAT HE WANTED THE DEFENSE TO PULL ON HER SHIRT OR PULL HER DOWN IF SHE GETS LOOSE)...THERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A WHISTLE EITHER FOR THE HAND BALL OR THE OFFSIDES>>> AM I WRONG???
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

it is not clear what area on the pitch you are referring to in your statement. the pitch has two "boxes" or rectangular areas. one is the goal area. it is the smaller directly in front of the goal. it extends out 6 yds from the goal line. the other is the penalty area. it is larger and extends out to 18 yards from the goal line. i believe you are referring to the penalty area.

a foul committed on the penalty area line would be considered inside the pa. also, a foul inside the pa is obviously inside the pa. anything else is outside the pa.

if the play is as you described, a deliberate foul, often called a "professional" foul, should earn the person committing it a card. the color depends on a number of other factors. if the keeper was the only other opponent near the person fouled, who could have a chance to stop the attacker, that could be denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity. the attacker must also be heading directly towards the goal; be "close" to the goal; and with the ball close enough to play. if these 4 conditions are met - red card for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity by a foul. if any of the 4 were not met - yellow card for unsporting behavior.

if the foul happened on the line or inside the pa, the restart is a penalty kick. the ref and assistent are the judges of where the foul happened. apparently, the ref ruled it was outside the pa and not on the line. his judgement. however, the restart for a holding foul is a direct free kick, not ifk.

offside. if offside should have been called, then the ref needed to stop play once he saw the ar's flag. the fact that a defender delibertly handled the ball after the offside offense is not material. the offside happened first and should have been penalized. if the offside did not happen, then the handling should have stopped play. in no case should play have continued without one of these two calls. (again, given your report of what happened.)
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

thanx for the help....the rectangle was at the 18 yd line