The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

2007-08 Part I Exam

Hi guys, new to the forum here. I noticed that, in the past, there has been some helpful discussion about the NFHS exam, so I'd like to run a few questions by all of you to get your opinions. Most of these seem to be worded poorly or ask about things that aren't explicitly discussed in the rule book. I'm not trying to cheat, but I would appreciate some advice. Thanks in advance.

[Edited per Nevadaref's advice.]

Last edited by soctyl; Wed Aug 08, 2007 at 09:38pm.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Hi soctyl,
Is your state one that has the Part 1 test as like an ungraded study guide? That is the way that Idaho is. Sorry I don't have time to look at all your questions right now (I probably have a lot of the same ones too!), but tommorrow if someone hasn't already answered them I can look. If there are any disputes about answers, I can ask at our state rules clinic which is Thursday.
Old Mon Aug 06, 2007, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

It's not considered just a study guide here, but it is open book, which in my mind means open discussion, too.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

we do class and take the hs exam in the spring each year. so, we will continue to use the 06-07 rulebook thru this fall season. won't see the test you are taking until next february. to confuse thigs even more, not all our schools use nfhs. some play fifa rules. always confusing when a nfhs rules school plays a fifa rules school.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Normally, it is frowned upon to post multiple test questions on an internet forum, so I would ask you to make sure that you don't give away too much information to someone who has yet to take the test when you post. It means more in some states than others. However, since you have asked for extra information regarding the test questions. It is obvious that you are not here looking for just the answers, but a deeper understanding of the rules. Therefore, I'm willing to share what I know. My responses are in red below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soctyl
temporarily deleted, but will be reposted following the national test date of August 20

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Aug 08, 2007 at 03:30am.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Normally, it is frowned upon to post multiple test questions on an internet forum, so I would ask you to make sure that you don't give away too much information to someone who has yet to take the test when you post. It means more in some states than others. However, since you have asked for extra information regarding the test questions. It is obvious that you are not here looking for just the answers, but a deeper understanding of the rules. Therefore, I'm willing to share what I know. My responses are in red below.
Thanks for your input, Nevadaref. The Part I exam isn't closed book anywhere, is it? I've seen previous discussions of the Part I exam on this very forum before (including complete listings of answers for every question in other sports). I assumed a mod would have deleted those posts if there are some people who shouldn't be seeing the test questions/answers.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for your input, Nevadaref. The Part I exam isn't closed book anywhere, is it? I've seen previous discussions of the Part I exam on this very forum before (including complete listings of answers for every question in other sports). I assumed a mod would have deleted those posts if there are some people who shouldn't be seeing the test questions/answers.
Yes, there are states that give Part I as a closed book exam and others that use it for making people eligible for varsity games during the regular season or even postseason contests.
And you are quite right that you have seen test questions/answers posted on this forum in various sports. Also, it is true that moderators have indeed deleted those posts made prior to the national test date (August 20 this year in soccer). If you look at my post count, you can see that I have been active here for a few years now and know of what I speak.

Basically, a couple of questions are deemed okay and we debate the wording and sometimes even disagree with the answer given in the NFHS key. Some of those threads turn out to be quite productive and informative. The mods usually leave those untouched.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

soctyl,
I would like to see you edit your original post as I have done with my post #5.
Also, if you have further questions on this you may PM or email me. I'll happily help you. I just don't wish to be contributing to the cause of those who wish to cheat on the exam by leaving questions and/or answers publically posted.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2007, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
soctyl,
I would like to see you edit your original post as I have done with my post #5.
Also, if you have further questions on this you may PM or email me. I'll happily help you. I just don't wish to be contributing to the cause of those who wish to cheat on the exam by leaving questions and/or answers publically posted.
Fair enough.
Old Thu Aug 09, 2007, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Our state gives the open exam and I have already sent mine in to be graded. Don't know the score as yet.

These exams seem to test ones reading ability versus knowledge of the game. The subtle play on words, as mentioned by others in this thread, really drives me nuts.
After a few years I think I figured out what they are looking for in a question. But, one question that bothered me was the simple one about "benches" not being allowed on opposite sides of the field. A quick read says this is false but because of the rule exception change that says they must be "diagonally" across on opposite sides of the field I found myself trying to figure out if this was a trick question simply because they left diagonal out.

Did I read to much into it?

I also don't want to give answers to people that have to take the exam so if this post is a problem feel free to delete or do whatever to it.

First game in 12 days!!!
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

I ended up getting a 98... guess I shouldn't have worried so much. It's just that every year I find several ambiguous questions on the NFHS exam, while the USSF exam is always really straightforward IMO.

Anyway, time to study for the Part II exam!

Last edited by soctyl; Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 02:20pm.
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I ended up getting a 98... guess I shouldn't have worried so much. It's just that every year I find several ambiguous questions on the NFHS exam, while the USSF exam is always really straightforward IMO.

Anyway, time to study for the Part II exam!

I took Part 2 tonight. Be interested to see how I did!