The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Persistantly infringing

I was working a HS Varsity game this weekend. Pretty much even contest the first half but blue had scored twice. At half my partner and I talked about we expected an increase in intensity for the second half and the need to be on our toes.

In the second half white could not mount any offense at all. At most they crossed midfield with 2-3 attackers and lost the ball about 30-40 yards from the goal. As the half went on, and as they attacked, the blue team would begin to foul them. A trip, a hold, another trip, etc..... After about 3 of these, I started to get irritated, and as I called the fouls told the blue defenders to knock it off and start playing soccer. The fouls continued. A blue defender then 5 yards from me grabbed the white attacker by both shoulders to keep him from the ball. I blew the whistle, stopped the clock, and issued a yellow card to the defender. I went over to the blue bench (all the way across the field) and explained to the coach the specific foul (holding) and that I had had enough of this nonsense and had issued the caution for persistantly infringing. As he started to complain, I told him that I was not here to negotiate with him, just to inform him, and started back to my position. I restarted the game and 3 minutes later observed a blue defender pull a white shirt. I then issued another caution. The rest of the game (10 minutes or so) was sloppy but the fouls did stop.

The game ended with blue winning 4-0, but get this..... As we were leaving the field, I heard the white coach tell his players that things could have been different IF THE REF'S WOULD HAVE DONE THEIR JOBS RIGHT! -wow!
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardtc
... snip ... I heard the white coach tell his players that things could have been different IF THE REF'S WOULD HAVE DONE THEIR JOBS RIGHT! -wow!
Right, why didn't you kick the ball into the goal for them??
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

No - that is only allowed in Brazillian soccer
Old Mon Sep 18, 2006, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was working a HS Varsity game this weekend. Pretty much even contest the first half but blue had scored twice. At half my partner and I talked about we expected an increase in intensity for the second half and the need to be on our toes.
Good halftime comment. Also, when you have a tied game at the half, you should be aware of the jump in intensity that the game will take if/when one team scores to break the tie. The team that is then behind will certainly have to press the attack.

Quote:
As the half went on, and as they attacked, the blue team would begin to foul them. A trip, a hold, another trip, etc..... After about 3 of these, I started to get irritated, and as I called the fouls told the blue defenders to knock it off and start playing soccer.
Okay, so you observed a team tactic of fouling to prevent the opponent from attacking. Good, but don't get angry or upset about it, just deal with it. The referee must always maintain his composure on the field. No matter what anyone else does. I've also found that if you merely verbally chastise the players at the HS level, they usually just ignore you. So skip that part and simply hold up the plastic.

Quote:
The fouls continued.
No big surprise there. See my comment above. Teenagers will push until there is a tangible punishment.

Quote:
A blue defender then 5 yards from me grabbed the white attacker by both shoulders to keep him from the ball. I blew the whistle, stopped the clock, and issued a yellow card to the defender.
Excellent!

Quote:
I went over to the blue bench (all the way across the field) and explained to the coach the specific foul (holding) and that I had had enough of this nonsense and had issued the caution for persistantly infringing.
Two thoughts here: 1) although the NFHS book does tell you to report the caution and the reason for it to both coaches and the scorer. I recommend that you skip this part unless the coach asks about the card. Then I would say as little as possible to him. "Unsporting behavior" or "Persistent Infringement" is all that is needed. There is no need to tell him that you "have had enough of this nonsense", your display of the caution has already demonstrated that.
2) I would have issued this card for unsporting behavior. The action described is worthy of a caution on its own without consideration of any prior fouls. PI is best used for the repetition of fouls that would be below the threshold of a caution on their own.

Quote:
As he started to complain, I told him that I was not here to negotiate with him, just to inform him, and started back to my position.
Complaining is exactly what any coach is going to do when his player is carded. It's in the coaching manual. I've found that it is best to just stay away from them at these times. You did well to quickly end the conversation and get out of there.

Quote:
I restarted the game and 3 minutes later observed a blue defender pull a white shirt. I then issued another caution. The rest of the game (10 minutes or so) was sloppy but the fouls did stop.
This is outstanding. You demonstrated real conviction here. The first caution was now backed-up by a second one, and the clear message to the team was that if they continued with this stuff, you would continue to issue cards to them. You didn't have to say a word. Your actions took care of it. There is no surprise that this method was effective and put a stop to the fouling.

Quote:
The game ended with blue winning 4-0, but get this..... As we were leaving the field, I heard the white coach tell his players that things could have been different IF THE REF'S WOULD HAVE DONE THEIR JOBS RIGHT! -wow!
That has to be in the manual somewhere too.