The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys - I'm the newbie: been reffing 8 years at AYSO and decided to take the plunge into HS this fall. You all wanted to hear how it's going.

So far, I've only done three freshman boys games. I think for most things I'm doing OK. I still am getting used to the speed at which things develop, and to all the "incidental contact" when challangeing for the ball. I've worked with two parners so far and have been told by them that some of this is allowed - and it seems to be accepted by the players, coaches, refs (at games I've watched). I'm still trying to figure out however where the line is drawn between a fair challange and a foul. I've seen what they whistle (and ask later -why) but am still fuzzy to where the foul gets called. I've got to get this sorted out!

Next is corner kicks - When the kick is taken, there is this huge rush of bodies into the goal area. What do you guys look for? What are the most common things that can happen? Depending if I am the lead or trailing ref (two man system) I think I am positioned OK, but am having trouble with the subtle jockying that is going on.

Our association (WMSOA) is great with support, mentoring, and advice, but there is nothing like just running the field and calling a game. And even though I've done AYSO U12-U14 it is a vastly different game. I've made my mind up to be better than I currently am. And I think the only way to do so is to attend more games, watch the play, watch the ref's, and learn-learn-learn. Also, do you know if there are any DVD's or Video's available to better define fouls (give visual examples) that I can use for study? Are there any other newbies out there that can offer advice?

I've now got a week off, and am going to sub for an adult rec league next week. After that, I have a JV-Varsity combo to do. I guess the only way to learn is to jump in and do the best I can - right?

This post has been extreamly useful to me and I appreciate the feedback and support I get from you folks. From the new guys all over - thanks for your help.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
1) Keep being conscientious
2) The definition of fair charge is side-o-side, at least one foot on the ground, arms down and not undue force (only enough to gain advantage). Anything beyond those factors is technically illegal; but the tolerance varies by age and gender, so allow more force with stronger players.
3) On corners, I try to get a different angle than my partner, perpendicular to the direction the attackers will move. Obviously, contact is more likely because of the crowding but that gets back to the undue force factor. Also, observe the keeper to be sure no one impedes and if you are lead be very alert to offside possibilities. Because of the proximity, be sure to call any attacking infraction and be sure you have to on defending infractions which will be PK.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2005, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Once again, I have to thank you all for your support. I have been working hard at this, and I think I am starting to get it. My wife thinks I am a soccer junkie now because I have been stopping to watch any game I can in our area. Next, I went to our school varsity coach and got a hold of some old game films. Spent last weekend going over them forwards, backwards, in slow motion, and in zoom mode, I think I am understanding better. I learned two things - 1) why the calls were made when they were, and 2) that there were several calls that were missed. So depending on angle, speed, being screened by players, or for what ever reason, other people miss calls too - I'm not the only one.

I also found a real good web site (corshamref.net) which does a great job of sorting out the grey, and offering real world advice to the new guys.

The other thing I'm finding is that experience is the best teacher of all. Since I started with AYSO and believe in their program, I am still doing U12 and U14 games. The neat thing is that the pace now seems much slower, and I can see so many things develop that relate to the HS level. Lastly, it must be working because I am now being called to fill in on a few more games this fall (picked up four more -hopefully because I'm not that bad).

Once again thank you for your support. And for all the other newbies out there, if I can help you, let me know.