The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Soccer (https://forum.officiating.com/soccer/)
-   -   Three Whistle System (https://forum.officiating.com/soccer/101591-three-whistle-system.html)

Hancock Blue Tue Aug 30, 2016 08:26pm

Three Whistle System

Hello friends,

I have been asked by the Maine Association of Soccer Officials, the association to which anyone who referees high school in Maine must belong, to research the question of the prevalence around the country of the 3 whistle system.

Do you use it in your state?
is it the only system you use or do you utilize the dual system and the DSC as well?
In what ways do you find it superior to the dual and DSC?
How is that system received by players and coaches?
Is it a hard system to manage effectively?
Difficult to teach?

if any of you have some thoughts on this issue, I welcome your input.

Many thanks,

Steve Johnson
Secretary/Treasurer
Maine Association of Soccer Officials
Bangor, Maine.

LRZ Wed Aug 31, 2016 04:34pm

In Pennsylvania, we use only the dual or the double-dual system (3-whistle), but not the DSC. As far as I know, that is a state-wide PIAA modification of NFHS. Which of the two systems is used is typically determined by two factors: (1) a school's willingness to incur the added expense, and (2) availability of officials. As a consequence, many schools in this area (SE PA, outside of Philadelphia) stick to the dual system, but a small minority use the double-dual for boys varsity matches.

I have never refereed the double-dual, but from watching, I don't like it, as it can result in inconsistency, as the three officials rotate in and out. If you have the luxury of assigning three officials, I prefer the consistency of the DSC. If the double-dual were so superior, FIFA would use it, no?

chmoor Sat Sep 10, 2016 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 990306)
..If the double-dual were so superior, FIFA would use it, no?

FIFA is not exactly noted for their forward thinking....

In Arkansas, the DSC is the preferred method for refereeing HS matches but the dual system of control is permitted as well. I am not familiar with the three whistle system.

LRZ Sat Sep 10, 2016 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chmoor (Post 990624)
FIFA is not exactly noted for their forward thinking....

In Arkansas, the DSC is the preferred method for refereeing HS matches but the dual system of control is permitted as well. I am not familiar with the three whistle system.

To my knowledge, NCAA, another organization not exactly noted for forward thinking, also uses the DSC. But please don't suggest NFHS is forward thinking.

Essentially, the 3w system is the DSC, but with whistles for all 3 officials, instead of a center whistle and two flags. Where it gets really bizarre is that the refs switch positions every third of the match! That can change a match's tenor dramatically. Thankfully, not many schools here use it.

ilyazhito Thu May 03, 2018 08:49pm

Not a soccer official, but I'd prefer the DSC, because each official has separate, overlapping responsibilities CR has fouls and advantage, ARs help with restarts and have offside calls). In 3-whistle, three different officials will be making different sets of calls, and I have no idea what criteria each whistle would use.