The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Lacrosse
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

What is the proper procedure when a stick (usually a long stick) gets up underneath the attckmans arm? How much time do you give for the defender to free the stick, and what limits do you put on the attackman for removing the stick? I've seen this several times.
Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RILAX Send a message via Yahoo to RILAX
I would say that there is holding by one of the players when this happens. If the attack man clamps his arm down so that the defender cannot get his stick out that is a hold and the ball is turned over. If the defender impedes the progress of the attack man I will have a flag down there however if the defender can get his stick out before the attack man makes his move and in a few seconds I would have a no-call. The interesting one is when both players are holding each other and you can’t tell who was the first to hold. Often I will try to get the players to resolve it by talking to them and if they don’t you can have simultaneous fouls under 7-6-2-a where the fouls cancel and the attacking team keeps the ball. Mostly try to stop the holding before it escalates in the situation when both players are holding.

Old Thu Apr 01, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Rilax here. A lot of times attackmen will try to draw the hold. Watch for them clamping the defenders stick. If the attackmen uses his hand to move the stick away thats a ward, but if the defender's stick doesn't come out and disadvantages the attackmen's movement then call the hold.
Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

I've got to do a better job of calling holds. I've had what Jeff describes numerous times and have most often let the players sort it out. NOT GOOD. I need to make that call. RILAX gives me good guidance here. The attackman often clamps the defenders stick and gains an advantage.

I'll add that I better be in position to make the proper judgement and I better see the whole play.

Old Thu Apr 22, 2004, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

One thing, don't automatically think its again Offense when it gets in there. If the attackment doesn't move his arm or doesn't clamp then its a hold against the defense. Gets tricky, another judgement call for us