Go Back   The Official Forum > Lacrosse
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RILAX Send a message via Yahoo to RILAX
Question about 7-7:

"Fouls After End of Period
SECTION 7. When any foul occurs before the start of a period or after the official’s period-ending whistle has sounded, the penalty shall be assessed; and play shall be resumed as provided for in 4-3."

Does everyone take this to mean that if there is a penalty that happened between the periods that it would be assessed as if it happened right before the face off (or awarded position in the extra man/flag down exceptions)?

I.E.:

1) The first period ended in an all-even situation. During the time between the first and second periods team “A” commits a conduct foul. Ruling: Since the second quarter would start with a face off Team “B” would have position of the ball but all players would be in their face-off positions (i.e. players in the defensive zones) until the ball becomes live.

2) Same as 1 but team “A” commits a U.S.C. penalty. Ruling: Since the second quarter would have started with a face off team “B” gets the ball at center “X”. Since a time serving penalty ends a face off there are no restrictions on the players.

3) The first period ended in an extra man situation with Team “B” with position of the ball. During the time between the first and second periods team “A” commits a conduct foul. Ruling: Since 4-3 dictates that team “B” has position team “A” would serve a 30-second technical and the ball would be advanced to the center “X” if it was on teams “B” half of the field.

4) The first period ended in an extra man situation with Team “B” with position of the ball. During the time between the first and second periods team “B” commits a conduct foul. Ruling: Since 4-3 dictates that team “B” has position team “A” would get position of the ball at the same position team “B” had it.

Or does it mean that the penalties are severed and then the next quarter is started by the manner dictated by 4-3 (i.e. a face-off). This does not make since to me, as it would allow the team with position at the end of the period to get a “free” technical foul penalty in the time-out period without being assessed a penalty.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I understand it to be if there is a foul(tech or personal) then award the offended team the ball. And put players in the box if timeserving.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Why would you do anything but put the offending player in the penalty box to serve the appropriate time and have a face-off?

I take 7-7 to read that you penalize and face off. Furthermore, I won't have any penalty other than a conduct.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2004, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RILAX Send a message via Yahoo to RILAX
Quote:
Originally posted by Ballen
Why would you do anything but put the offending player in the penalty box to serve the appropriate time and have a face-off?

I take 7-7 to read that you penalize and face off. Furthermore, I won't have any penalty other than a conduct.
Because I read it to mean that if 7-7 dictates that any fouls after the termination of a period and before the start of the next the penalty is enforced via the spot and procedure of 4-3. Normally 4-3 dictates that a period starts with a face off unless a team has position of the ball at the end of the period during a man down situation.

So if team “A” has the ball man up at the end of the first quarter they would start the second quarter with the ball in the same relative position. Now team “A” or “B” commits a penalty then that penalty is enforced from the spot that would have started the second quarter.