The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Lacrosse
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Okay, its kind of quiet in here so heres a play I came up with, didn't see it in the casebook.

A1 passes to A2, but while the ball in the air B2 (a) knocks it down with his hand (b) catches it with his hand. What's your ruling?
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

If B2 is NOT the goalie in the crease, then he can not touch the ball with his hands. If a player touches the ball with his hands during the game, it is a techenical foul - illegal procedure. Since the ball was loose when he first touched it, you would call a play on if the ball remained loose, but if he subsequently catches the ball with his crosse, as you describe, then you would blow the whistle, and award the ball to team A at the spot of the infraction, unless it took place in the attack box, then you would move the ball outside the attack nox and restart play.

The designated goalie is the only player who can touch the ball with his hands, and only while he is in the crease.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Here's an add on

A1 passes to A2, but while the ball in the air B2 (c) raises his hand and tips the pass, the ball is then caught by A3.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Since B2 comitted a technical foul and the ball was and remained loose, you would yell, "Play on" and raise your hand in the air. As soon as A3 caught the ball, you would lower your hand and the play on is over; let play continue.

There is no need to stop play in this circumstance since the offended team gained possesion with in two to three seconds of a loose ball technical foul violation by the opposing team.

If A3 had not caught the ball, or knocked it say....out of bounds, you would blow your whistle, call the loose ball technical foul, which would result in NO penalty time for B2, and just the awarding of the ball to team A.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RILAX Send a message via Yahoo to RILAX
Quote:
Originally posted by rommel22
Since B2 comitted a technical foul and the ball was and remained loose, you would yell, "Play on" and raise your hand in the air. As soon as A3 caught the ball, you would lower your hand and the play on is over; let play continue.

There is no need to stop play in this circumstance since the offended team gained possesion with in two to three seconds of a loose ball technical foul violation by the opposing team.

If A3 had not caught the ball, or knocked it say....out of bounds, you would blow your whistle, call the loose ball technical foul, which would result in NO penalty time for B2, and just the awarding of the ball to team A.
What about case book 4.5 situation on page 64 of the 2004 rule book (was in the 2003 as well) NFHS? It says:
A1 makes a pass to teammate A2 While the ball is in flight B1 Commits (a) technical foul or (b) personal foul. Ruling Flag down. If pass is completed (a) ball is awarder to Team A; B1 Serves penalty time or (b) slow whistle is used. When the whistle is blow, the ball is awarded to Team A, and B1 serves penalty time (treat as a possession foul). If pass is not completed (a) whistle is blown immediately. Ball is awarded to Team A; B1 does not serve any penalty time. (b) Whistle is blown immediately. Ball is awarded to Team A, and B1 serves penalty time.

Basically the same thing in NCAA rule 4 A.R. 26.

Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

I agree, that's why I added (c), if the ball is caught it is a timeserving penalty.

But I don't think I'm going to drop the flag until I see that the pass is caught, I'm not sure, what do you guys think?
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

I stand corrected. Nice hunting.