The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Lacrosse
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RILAX Send a message via Yahoo to RILAX
The following situation has started to happen more and more in the last few years:
During a face-off the face-off man that is able to clamp the ball is able to do so in a manner that causes the ball to become stuck in the back end of the stick. The NCAA has addressed this in saying that this is in effect whithholding the ball from play. (i.e. http://www.ecac.org/Officiating/Lacrosse/NCAA (this has the list of rule changes etc for the 2004 season, not many and mostly technical)).

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything specific from the NFHS about this. In absent of word from the NFHS how do you handle such a situation?

Thanks
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

According to NFHS rule book its a four second visual count then you go to AP.

Rule 4-7
"If the ball becomes caught in a player's crosse, the official shall count for seconds(visual count) and, if the ball has not been dislodged, shall stop play. The ball will be awarded according to the alternate-possession rule."

If the goalie is in crease when it happens then the ball is awarded to a defensive player.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RILAX Send a message via Yahoo to RILAX
Ah yes if forgot about that rule last night.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

I do agree with you that the federation rule book does say that about a ball becoming caught in a players crosse, but I wonder if we could apply rule 6-13 (page 41)here. Rule 6-13 covers withholding the ball from play. One of the statements in this rule is "...or withhold the ball from play in ANY OTHER MANNER." Since withholding the ball from play is a technical foul, it would result in the ball being awarded to the opposing team. I think it is obvious that the ball is being withheld from play in this. It's like thumbing the ball, but with your side walls instead. I'm just not sure if we could apply this violation to that rule and come up with that ruling.

This type of violation ususally happens on a faceoff only. Either way, if I were a coach and I saw a ball get lodged in a players crosse like that, right after the official made the call, and before he restarted play, I would ask for a stick check of that players crosse. I gaurentee you, the officials would find that stick was illegal because the ball will not roll out of the stick head easily as required by rule. This would result in a three minute non-releaseable penalty.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2004, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

I think 4-7 supersedes that rule, because it specifically talks about it getting stuck in the cross. But you’re right, a coach could ask for a stickcheck and probaly would be found illegal.