The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Lacrosse

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 16, 2003, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RILAX Send a message via Yahoo to RILAX
When I started doing lacrosse I got a 20 second timer that is attached on the belt. I have since forgotten where I had gotten it and some of the newer reefs what to know where they can get one. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks all.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

I don't really understand why you would really need a 20 second counter. The only reason you'd count 20 seconds is for delay of game. Correct?
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Yes it is used for delay in dead ball situations. While there are other ways of keeping track of the 20-second period it is the preferred way. There is a passage in the NFHS rule book about having the timer when describing the equipment the game officials should use.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

I've never seen a referee use one before that's why I ask. I just don't see the real need for one because I've never had to call delay of game either, I just enourage teams to hustle up and threaten delay of game. I imagine you're doing HS because I'm pretty sure in NCAA the timer is responsibile for 20 second count.

Anyways I remembered seeing a timer ad in one of my rulebooks. The downside is it was the football rule book. Take a look at that, that's the best I could do.

http://www.grimmscientific.com/readyref.html

Also I'm going to send an email to someone that might know, I will let you know what I find out.

[Edited by Snake~eyes on Sep 19th, 2003 at 10:25 AM]
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Actually the NCAA rules say that the officials should be keeping track of this in 6-6-f.

f. Delaying the game—When it is a team delay, the penalty shall be assigned to the in-home. Delaying the game shall be the consuming of more than 20 seconds:
…
Note 1: To enforce strictly the provisions of this rule and to move the game along at a fast pace, each official must carry a timing device and ensure that there are no delays of the game without resulting penalties. If both teams are guilty of delay of the game simultaneously, the official shall consider such breaches grounds to warn both benches that any future such conduct will lead to unsportsmanlike penalties.

Note 2: The official responsible for initiating the 20 seconds to start shall do so by
giving an arm signal (raising an arm clearly over the head and then dropping

It is similar to what you have but it is a black box with a switch on top and a removable back with belt loops. Basely after 20-secondes after the switch is through it buzzes via a speaker.
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

What I meant was the box official, my fault on that one.

Anyways what level do you referee, out of curiosity?

I knew what I linked wasn't going to be it but that was the football one. What I did was send an email to someone who should know and like I said I'll get back to you as soon as i get a response.
Old Sun Sep 21, 2003, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

I do mostly varsity high school plus some youth stuff on the weekends.

Do colleges nomaly use the fourth (box) offical where you live? It has been three at the games I watch.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2003, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the place to call

Officials Corner 1-800-333-laxx

This is what I was told, I haven't checked up on it though.
Old Wed Oct 01, 2003, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info.
Old Fri Oct 03, 2003, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Officials Corner does have them - and I use one in Lacrosse. It really only is necessary at competitive levels like varisty HS where teams are making the changes after a goal or something and trying to coordinate a new play and delaying taking the face-off.
Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Lacrosse Timer

Gentleman,

The 20 second lacrosse timer is used by all the officials on the field. In high school and college games, it is very important that all the game officials have it. The box official is only used in college playoff games, no other time. This official is never responsible for the delay of game call. Each official on the field needs the timer because the bench side official is responsible for activiating the timer and calling the delay of game penalty when needed. And since the officials rotate through the three different positions through out the game, at one time or another, each official will have the delay call. You can also visit the officials corner website and order the timer on line:

http://www.theofficialscorner.com

Old Sat Oct 04, 2003, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Ahhh okay that makes sense. Thanx for the info.