The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Hockey
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, I'm a basketball official and had a question about positioning of a hockey referee from the 2/18 Red Wings game. The referee deep in the offensive zone was positioned on or in front of the goal line and perhaps one-third of the distance from the goal to the corner. Unfortunately for the Wings, a missed shot hit his skate and rebounded in front, where the Vancouver player put it in an open net with about 14 seconds left in regulation.

My question: where is that official supposed to be positioned? What factors dictate his positioning? There's been a lot of griping in the media about the official being out of position, but I figure it was probably just a bad break because the official couldn't jump out of the way fast enough.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2003, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Depending on what side of the ice play was on the recommended position (for USA Hockey), is along or on the goal line approx 10 feet from the goal. So based upon your statement it sounds like the official was correctly positioned.

Had the official been hit with the puk at center ice, Im sure the media would not have cared or even written about it. The same applies in the end zones except, and (again this is USA Hockey)if the puck was directly deflected into the net, the goal would not count.

You can rest assure that if anyone knows less about the rules, let alone positioning of the officials, it will be the media.
Old Sat Feb 22, 2003, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

The NHL has a positioning system?!?!

NHL Officials' just be where they have to be ... whether that means: behind the net, on top of the net, sitting on the boards, center ice, in the crease, on the goal line, at the hash marks, etc.!!

Donny Van M (the official who was victim of this incident) was in a position that he felt comfortable in. He's not in the CHA, nor the USAH.

He probably didn't have enough time to jump, but who knows..

Andy

Over 25 years experience in hockey, baseball, and softball officiating.

Owner and Manager; Andy's Page On Umpiring
http://umpiring.official.ws
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Does ASA have a positioning system, or do you just stand whereever you feel like?

Nobody said he was in the CHA or USAH, but a lot of the positioning is similar. Do you really believe that if he stood at the Blue Line that would be acceptable with the League?
Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

I know that no one stated he was in the CHA or USAH, and I wasn't even replying to your post, rather the original comments.

Give the NHL Officials some credit here. They use their OWN judgement as to where they have to be, and how they get there. As professionals, I doubt a referee would be standing beside a linesman at the blue line...what do you think?

I actually am surprised that Don was on the goal line, as most NHL Officials tend to be behind the goal line. Nevertheless, he was in the correct position to him, and that's all that matters.

I'm sure the League and the other officials are having a good laugh about it, and it will come up as one of those embarassing moments later on.

Andy

Old Sun Feb 23, 2003, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

"Give the NHL Officials some credit here. They use their OWN judgement as to where they have to be, and how they get there.'

As a amateur Hockey Official I not only give them credit, but I admire and totally respect what they do. But just as there are basic mechanics in officiating softball, there are the same basics for ice hockey. Their "OWN" judgement has been developed based upon years of experience executing the basic mechanics. Also Mr.Van Hellerman has a lot to say about how they execute those mechanics.

Even at that level, you answer to someone.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

I know this.

I, too am a hockey official ... not only softball. In fact, a Level V Official within the CHA. And, I am a full-time hockey writer here at Officiating.com . I have met and spoke to at least 25 on-ice officials with the NHL, as well as Gary B.; Andy V.H.; and Ron Hoggarth.

The NHL system is something I am used to, and it is taught that the officials do whatever they must do to be in the correct position to make the right call.

What do you mean about 'basic mechanics' ?

Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I agree.

Im talking "basic" in terms of standard. Not in terms of "Basic, Intermediate or Advanced" as USAH designates for their manuals.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

I gotcha'.

What basic mechanics though (examples)?

Andy

Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

For this I was mostly talking about goal line positioning. Your right, this is not a subject for NHL Officials because if they don't know it properly, they probably are'nt working the League.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

I understand that USAH used the "golden triangle" and didn't know that they go behind the net.

NHL Officials follow no basics...they do whatever they need to do, which mostly means behind the net.

Andy

Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Going behind the net is acceptable in the RLL system . Yes the Golden triangle is what I would call basic positioning for a new comer.

The now talk more about the sweet spot. The point where the Goal Line and an imaginary line that connects the faceoff spots, meet.

I still go behind the net in the RR system, but you have to return. I do like the RRLL system though.