The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Hockey

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 09, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

I've got a question on referee positioning for anyone who can answer it. I play league hockey, and in our game last night, we had a referee who kept positioning himself on the halfboards about 10 feet up from the goal line in our defensive zone, between our D and our forwards. He must have knocked down at least a half-dozen clearing attempts before my brother, who plays defense, asked him why he was positioned there and to get out of the way. Referee responded that he could stand wherever he wanted to and we had to go around him. I've never seen a ref position himself there, and if he was supposed to be covering the blue line, he was out of position to call off-sides. By standing where he was, he essentially eliminated our ability to clear the puck up the boards on our right wing.

Should he be standing there? If not, and he's the high ref in the zone, where should he be?

Chris Mykrantz
Grosse Pointe, MI
[email protected]
Old Wed Jan 18, 2006, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

To answer your question.....

it depends!

It depends on the situation, the mechanics that your league uses (probably USA hockey 2 man).

I don't know about the specifics, but I can say that there are a lot of times that the Referee will be in that spot because frankly, clearing the puck to there is stupid. If the referee stays off the boards, it frees up the rim, but only cuts off the stupid clear that would just go straight to the point man.

You also noted that he would not be able to cover offsides. That makes me think he was on his own, and thus you cannot complain at all about positioning. Refereeing a hockey game by yourself is thankless and an endless trade-off to achieve the best least-bad positioning rather than any good positioning at all.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, I didn't see your game!
Old Mon Jan 31, 2011, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
I've got a question on referee positioning for anyone who can answer it. I play league hockey, and in our game last night, we had a referee who kept positioning himself on the halfboards about 10 feet up from the goal line in our defensive zone, between our D and our forwards. He must have knocked down at least a half-dozen clearing attempts before my brother, who plays defense, asked him why he was positioned there and to get out of the way. Referee responded that he could stand wherever he wanted to and we had to go around him. I've never seen a ref position himself there, and if he was supposed to be covering the blue line, he was out of position to call off-sides. By standing where he was, he essentially eliminated our ability to clear the puck up the boards on our right wing.

Should he be standing there? If not, and he's the high ref in the zone, where should he be?

Chris Mykrantz
Grosse Pointe, MI
[email protected]

Hello Members!
I'm new to this forum past few months. I guessed those users who are not well knowledge and satisfaction about it which is mention above. Please visit our Analytical Report of your topic which is mention below at this post.....

Click below and gain experience of our Analysis!

Thank you