The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Hockey

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

I am a convenor in girls hockey in Canada...for the Peewee division - 11 & 12 year olds.

Last nite a goalie (still 10 years old) was charged with a Match penalty for Kicking...the only problem is - the call was only supported by 1 referee...and no contact or attempt to injure actually occured. We have 30 parents, 2 coaches and a time keeper who say nothing happen. The girl has no recollection of coming in contact with anyone, other than trying to get up off the ice after she fell during a scrimmage at the net that lasted about 45 seconds. Today she faces a 4 game suspension for this call...we are trying to figure out what we can do and what rights she has to appeal...I believe our rules state no appeal for less than 7 games.

Unfortunately in houseleague, 4 games is a month, as our kids only get 1 game/week.

If anyone has any advise I would appreciate it. I believe in the policy that you dont argue with refs...most times the call is warranted, and refs are highly valued in our organization. I just wonder what rights the player might have in regards to appealing this call.

thanks in advance
Carole
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 07:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by carole
I am a convenor in girls hockey in Canada...for the Peewee division - 11 & 12 year olds.

Last nite a goalie (still 10 years old) was charged with a Match penalty for Kicking...the only problem is - the call was only supported by 1 referee...and no contact or attempt to injure actually occured. We have 30 parents, 2 coaches and a time keeper who say nothing happen. The girl has no recollection of coming in contact with anyone, other than trying to get up off the ice after she fell during a scrimmage at the net that lasted about 45 seconds. Today she faces a 4 game suspension for this call...we are trying to figure out what we can do and what rights she has to appeal...I believe our rules state no appeal for less than 7 games.

Unfortunately in houseleague, 4 games is a month, as our kids only get 1 game/week.

If anyone has any advise I would appreciate it. I believe in the policy that you dont argue with refs...most times the call is warranted, and refs are highly valued in our organization. I just wonder what rights the player might have in regards to appealing this call.

thanks in advance
Carole
Get a video tape and show it to your board of directors.
(Somebody camcorded the game.)
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Go to the league.

Quote:
Originally posted by carole

Last nite a goalie (still 10 years old) was charged with a Match penalty for Kicking...the only problem is - the call was only supported by 1 referee...and no contact or attempt to injure actually occured.

thanks in advance
Carole
First, a few clarifications -
a) For the kicking rule to be applied, no contact has to actually be made.

b) If, in the referee's opinion, the player tried to kick an opponent, it is automatically a match penalty - the referee has no other options.

c) What number of referees that support the call is irrelevant - in a two man system, only one referee is in position to see stuff around the net anyway.

As for rights to appeal, you have to check with your league as to the appeal process. If you can't appeal anything under 7 games, well then you're out of luck.