The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Political lunchtime thought

With so many prominent Republicans wandering around dizzily wondering what the hell happened, I offer this: What many of that side don't seem to understand is that while they shout their views the loudest - their views are not the views of the majority. I think there are many people who are moderate that lean liberally on the social scale, yet conservatively on the fiscal scale. The current Extreme Far Right stance of their party scares the hell out of social liberals, even if they agree with their economic and budgetary views. And the blatantly obvious lying and fear tactics chase away more voters than it brings in.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

I know this is the off-topic forum, but this type of discourse can't end well.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

We can kill it if it goes badly. I'm not looking into having a discourse about which side is right - left or right, Dem or Rep, etc. More interested in discussing what went wrong for the Republicans in the presidential election, since even the top Repub pundits and analysts are publicly having this very discussion (and I think none of them have stated what I just said, which tells me they are going to stay in trouble until they figure it out).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
More interested in discussing what went wrong for the Republicans in the presidential election, since even the top Repub pundits and analysts are publicly having this very discussion (and I think none of them have stated what I just said, which tells me they are going to stay in trouble until they figure it out).
From what I understand, Romney received less votes than McCain in 2008. If you can't get your base out to vote, you will not win any election. The Obama campaign worked exceptionally well to turn out the voter base on the Democratic side.
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:27pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Why should it? Read John Kass' column in the Nov.7 Chicago Tribune
Old Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:33pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
I think there are many people who are moderate that lean liberally on the social scale, yet conservatively on the fiscal scale.
They aren't nearly as liberal as they think on social issues, nor nearly as conservative as they think on fiscal issues. Otherwise, they would be voting for candidates closer to the libertarian end of the spectrum.
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publius View Post
They aren't nearly as liberal as they think on social issues, nor nearly as conservative as they think on fiscal issues. Otherwise, they would be voting for candidates closer to the libertarian end of the spectrum.
I think there are a lot more people who are libertarian but either A) don't know it or B) don't vote that way because they are unaware of the great many other people who believe the same as them.

Socially, this country is moving toward the liberal. Toward the accepting. And away from the strict (sometimes religious) viewpoints. There's more "let them do what they want as long as they don't infringe upon my rights" out there taking hold. And to those in the middle, I think for a good chunk of them, this is more important to them than their own fiscal or budgetary views.

Budgetarily, I think a lot of people know that borrowing deeply from our future is bad, conceptually ... but the numbers are so mind-numbingly large that it's just impossible to wrap their head around, so they focus on the more actionable social issues.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

MD Longhorn.....

Try coming back home.......

Things are left of left here in Maryland.....there is a reason why we call him Owe Malley......however i do agree on your thoughts about being liberal socially and consevatively fiscally, we are a center right country, however personally I do believe that if we continue that way morally we will see a huge moral decline.....go to an inner city basketball game and see how many kids are sitting and playing with their phones during the national anthem....damn that pisses me off !!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Bob,

So far so good.....great sonversation topic...guys thanks for keeping this above board !!!!
Old Tue Nov 13, 2012, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Try coming back home.......

Things are left of left here in Maryland.....there is a reason why we call him Owe Malley......however i do agree on your thoughts about being liberal socially and consevatively fiscally, we are a center right country, however personally I do believe that if we continue that way morally we will see a huge moral decline.....go to an inner city basketball game and see how many kids are sitting and playing with their phones during the national anthem....damn that pisses me off !!!!!!!!!
Took me a minute to figure out the coming home part...

MD doesn't stand for Maryland in my moniker. Never lived in Maryland. I've lived all the heck over, but grew up mostly in Houston, Dallas, or Austin.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 10:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I think there are a lot more people who are libertarian but either A) don't know it or B) don't vote that way because they are unaware of the great many other people who believe the same as them.
I think there are a lot of people who are libertarian on some issues, and hard line on others. Everyone wants to legislate some level of morality, they just all want to pick and choose (including me).
I'm libertarian on a lot of things, but there are a few issues where I see too much societal harm from so-called "victimless" crimes and I cannot go there.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2012, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Took me a minute to figure out the coming home part...

MD doesn't stand for Maryland in my moniker. Never lived in Maryland. I've lived all the heck over, but grew up mostly in Houston, Dallas, or Austin.
Sorry MD...from your moniker I assumed you were an ex-Terrapin that moved to the Lone Star State.

That being said, the part of Maryland that I live in would like to take part in the succession movement !!!!!!
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 12:23pm
TODO: creative title here

The secession movement... brought to you by the same people who claim that they're the only ones who are "true patriots" and "love America" and that anyone who doesn't share their view isn't a "real American".

I've never quite figured that one out.

Last edited by jTheUmp; Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 02:37pm. Reason: corrreced spelling
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 02:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

What is this succession movement you all are talking about and what is it succeeding?
Old Thu Nov 15, 2012, 02:37pm
TODO: creative title here

Spelling mistake... (Hey, I flunked spelling in 3rd grade).
Closed Thread