The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 05, 2009, 08:01pm
In Memoriam

Question Golf - the "Gimmee"

Today, in a final playoff hole, J B Holmes was laying 5, and Paul Casey putted just inside Holmes and was laying 4.
Casey putted in for the win (I assume he asked permission), and then picked up J B Holmes' ball marker and handed the marker to Holmes.
Seemed like a polite, golf-like gesture.
Of course, Holmes putt would have been moot, but I wonder if anyone here can give a rule for tournament play in the PGA, with respect to a "Gimmee", or is there no such rule, aside from that Match Play stuff.
Thanks.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Today, in a final playoff hole, J B Holmes was laying 5, and Paul Casey putted just inside Holmes and was laying 4.
Casey putted in for the win (I assume he asked permission), and then picked up J B Holmes' ball marker and handed the marker to Holmes.
Of course, Holmes putt would have been moot, but I wonder if anyone here can give a rule for tournament play in the PGA, with respect to a "Gimmee", or is there no such rule, aside from that Match Play stuff.
Thanks.
No "gimmees" in stroke play.
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 11:38pm

Quote:
Thanks.
In a sudden death playoff, since his putt was now meaningless, so Casey was just being polite. In match play, you cannot play out of turn, but there is no penalty for playing out of turn in stroke play. It is customary to finish out when all you have is a tap-in. He would have marked his ball and let Holmes putt if it had been a longer putt.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 08, 2009, 06:37am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
In a sudden death playoff, since his putt was now meaningless, so Casey was just being polite. In match play, you cannot play out of turn, but there is no penalty for playing out of turn in stroke play. It is customary to finish out when all you have is a tap-in. He would have marked his ball and let Holmes putt if it had been a longer putt.
I never knew that.
Interesting.
Old Thu Apr 09, 2009, 08:51pm

Quote:
I never knew that.
Interesting.
Yes, and you can concede a hole at any point, and you can give a player a shot at any time. A common one is "good-good," where two guys have 3 foot knee-knockers and just concede each other's putts. That would sure lower my handicap if someone would do that when I play!!

Here are the special rules governing the order in Match Play:

Match Play

a. When Starting Play of Hole
The side that has the honor at the first teeing ground is determined by the order of the draw. In the absence of a draw, the honor should be decided by lot.

The side that wins a hole takes the honor at the next teeing ground. If a hole has been halved, the side that had the honor at the previous teeing ground retains it.

b. During Play of Hole
After both players have started play of the hole, the ball farther from the hole is played first. If the balls are equidistant from the hole or their positions relative to the hole are not determinable, the ball to be played first should be decided by lot.

Exception: Rule 30-3c (best-ball and four-ball match play).

Note: When the original ball is not to be played as it lies and the player is required to play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5), the order of play is determined by the spot from which the previous stroke was made. When a ball may be played from a spot other than where the previous stroke was made, the order of play is determined by the position where the original ball came to rest.

c. Playing Out of Turn
If a player plays when his opponent should have played, there is no penalty, but the opponent may immediately require the player to cancel the stroke so made and, in correct order, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Thu Apr 09, 2009 at 08:56pm.
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 07:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
...The ball to be played first should be decided by lot.
What's that? ...Rock, paper, scissors ? ...A simple agreement ?
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's that? ...Rock, paper, scissors ? ...A simple agreement ?
ANy of those things -- drawing straws, tossing tees, pulling numbers on a slip of paper from a hat, flipping a coin, ...
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 07:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
ANy of those things -- drawing straws, tossing tees, pulling numbers on a slip of paper from a hat, flipping a coin, ...

Tossing tees? What's that?
Old Fri Apr 10, 2009, 01:35pm

Quote:

Tossing tees? What's that?
You toss a tee into the air and where it lands nobody cares! Just kidding...you toss a tee and the person it points to (or points the closest to) has the honor.

Back in biblical days, the ball played first was decided by Lot.