The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

So I started intermural basketball officiating today. making the big bucks at 5.50 and i have realized that officiating is not as easy as i had previous thought. it definetly gives me a brand new perspective on the game. I have also come to the realization that maybe I shoudn't be so quick to critize the refs in higher up sports, where the score ACTUALLY matters. I was told that I was a "poor offical" today and how hurt I was after someone called into question my integrity, it made me think of how many times I have questioned officiating at a game and how quickly i place blame on the officals for a loss etc. I hope these experiences as well as my future ones help me to hold my tongue when i dis agree with a call and realize that they are doing their best. Good Luck with everyone's officiating.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 01:36am
Do not give a damn!!

Thank you for your candor in your post. This would have been a better post in the basketball forum BTW. Most people do not read this part of the site as they do the sports specific parts of this forum.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Pantherref, it really is an eye-opener, isn't it?

Glad that you see things from the other side now, at least for the perspective. If you decide that you love officiating, you should be sure to stick around this site, and particularly the basketball forum. There's a LOT of good information and comraderie that will help you as you pursue this hobby.

And if you decide that you really don't like it or need the hassle, at least you will have a new perspective as a spectator or player. You still won't like the calls that go against your team, but at least you'll realize that they are made by human beings who have a very tough job to do.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you stick around.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2006, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pantherref
I hope these experiences as well as my future ones help me to hold my tongue when i disagree with a call and realize that they are doing their best. Good Luck with everyone's officiating.
I think most of us would like to see all parents have to officiate one game, except for how unfair that would be to the players. Based on the context of your post, I'd say holding your tongue in the future won't be too hard. By the way, after a while the "hurt" goes away.

Mike
Old Sun Feb 19, 2006, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pantherref
I was told that I was a "poor offical" today and how hurt I was after someone called into question my integrity, it made me think of how many times I have questioned officiating at a game and how quickly i place blame on the officals for a loss etc.
Don't feel too bad. . . .you can be a poor official with integrity! As long as you're equally poor for both teams! Seriously, it doesn't matter how well you do, someone will think you did a poor job. Usually a loser.